• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Exit Discharge

captaincarlisle

I've designed an apartment building that has been separated into two buildings by a 2 hr. firewall. This will be used as a horizontal exit for occupants exiting from the left building to the right building. The code official reviewing plans is siting section IBC 2018 1022.1 regarding exit discharge to require us to maintain 2 hr. fire protection from the point of the horizontal exit to the exterior of the building. This would force us to continue the 2 hour rating from the horizontal exit door to a stair access. This doesn't make sense to me, but I can't find any code references other than it doesn't make sense to argue my point. Has anyone run into this before?

This?

1022.1 General. Exits shall comply with Sections 1022
through 1027 and the applicable requirements of Sections
1003 through 1015. An exit shall not be used for any purpose
that interferes with its function as a means of egress. Once a
given level of exit protection is achieved, such level of protection
shall not be reduced until arrival at the exit discharge.
Exits shall be continuous from the point of entry into the exit
to the exit discharge.

This?

1022.1 General. Exits shall comply with Sections 1022
through 1027 and the applicable requirements of Sections
1003 through 1015. An exit shall not be used for any purpose
that interferes with its function as a means of egress. Once a
given level of exit protection is achieved, such level of protection
shall not be reduced until arrival at the exit discharge.
Exits shall be continuous from the point of entry into the exit
to the exit discharge.
Yes, code official is saying we achieved a 2 hour level of protection by passing through the horizontal exit fire wall and now must maintain that protection until arrival at the exit discharge. Corridor walls are only required to be 30 minute rated (R-2). Her interpretation would require our corridors to be 2 hour rated, which I disagree with.

Yes, code official is saying we achieved a 2 hour level of protection by passing through the horizontal exit fire wall and now must maintain that protection until arrival at the exit discharge. Corridor walls are only required to be 30 minute rated (R-2). Her interpretation would require our corridors to be 2 hour rated, which I disagree with.

BAD call

You are in another building, once you go thru the wall!!! No code section to require it.

Have the nice code official provide the sections, so you can review them,,, And post here..

See if you get anything

Oh and welcome, to this humble forum:::

Check number 24 below, some reason I cannot copy the link

Plus extras ::

Thanks! I've browsed this forum countless times the past 10 years, figured its finally time to join! I've always struggle responding to code officials whose interpretation is so far off that the code doesn't even address ways to respond. Was just hoping for a clear section to help her see the light.

Thanks! I've browsed this forum countless times the past 10 years, figured its finally time to join! I've always struggle responding to code officials whose interpretation is so far off that the code doesn't even address ways to respond. Was just hoping for a clear section to help her see the light.

Well the first thing they do to me, is hit me up side the head with the code book,,,,,

Than they ask have you ever read this book????

Seems to get my attention.

Below is the response from the code official:

"If buildings are to be designed as two separate buildings with two separate fire areas, each
"building" must have exits directly to the stair enclosure or horizontal exits

Section 1022.1 General notes "...Once a given level of exit protection is achieved, such level of protection shall not be reduced until arrival at the exit discharge. Exits shall be continuous from the point of entry into the exit to the exit discharge."

The doors within the firewall are the exit for the left building and thus the means of egress needs to be continuous from those doors (the point of entry into the exit) to the point of exit discharge (at grade level).

The doors within the fire wall can exit into a Horizontal Exit per Section 1026 to serve as the exit from the left building if the doors do not exit directly into the stairs."

Below is the response from the code official:

"If buildings are to be designed as two separate buildings with two separate fire areas, each
"building" must have exits directly to the stair enclosure or horizontal exits

Section 1022.1 General notes "...Once a given level of exit protection is achieved, such level of protection shall not be reduced until arrival at the exit discharge. Exits shall be continuous from the point of entry into the exit to the exit discharge."

The doors within the firewall are the exit for the left building and thus the means of egress needs to be continuous from those doors (the point of entry into the exit) to the point of exit discharge (at grade level).

The doors within the fire wall can exit into a Horizontal Exit per Section 1026 to serve as the exit from the left building if the doors do not exit directly into the stairs."

SO,,

Not a high rise, I take????

Besides the two hour wall,.

Does the building have a fire sprinkler system???

Does the layout have corridors?

I take it , if corridors, they are at least 1/2 hour rated or above?

The level of protection is the rating of the corridor not the wall you pass through.

[BE] EXIT. That portion of a means of egress system between the exit access and the exit discharge or public way. Exit components include exterior exit doors at the level of exit discharge, interior exit stairways and ramps, exit passageways, exterior exit stairways and ramps and horizontal exits.

I think you just need to craft some architect language, with code sections to back you up,, and maybe even include the commentary by RLGA

Educate the person, and see if that flies, if not see if that person has a boss, with intelligent life. Or appeal

SO,,

Not a high rise, I take????

Besides the two hour wall,.

Does the building have a fire sprinkler system???

Does the layout have corridors?

I take it , if corridors, they are at least 1/2 hour rated or above?
Yes, 4 stories, NFPA 13R, 1/2 hour corridors. I think that's the route I'll take, argue that the level of protection achieved is only 1/2 hour unit entering an exit access. I may just have to take it to the boss if they don't relent. The repercussions of her interpretation would be 2 hour rated corridors everywhere which is silly.

Yes, 4 stories, NFPA 13R, 1/2 hour corridors. I think that's the route I'll take, argue that the level of protection achieved is only 1/2 hour unit entering an exit access. I may just have to take it to the boss if they don't relent. The repercussions of her interpretation would be 2 hour rated corridors everywhere which is silly.

Ok next time, do a hard question...

You might check the next day or two for other's opinions.

Show them to 1026 and 1028.....In particular 1028.1Ex. #3

3. Horizontal exits complying with Section 1026 shall not be required to discharge directly to the exterior of the building.

They are incorrectly interpreting the requirements for horizontal exits--the horizontal exit is the separation. The entire area on the other side of the wall is protected--there is no need to additionally protect the egress path to another exit.

I've always thought of it as a door to the outside. It is the exit. You path leading to it is the exit access, the door is the exit, and from the door to the public way the exit discharge. Seemed simple and at least consistent with the NFPA LSC seminars. Think I did a few days at a BOCA seminar on means of egress as well.

If your AHJ has adopted the Existing Building Code (which should have if on 2015 or newer code), They should be working from that until it specifically sends you to the IBC. Without all the details & depending on the level of alteration you might be able to show your BO the correct and acceptable path of compliance.

If your AHJ has adopted the Existing Building Code (which should have if on 2015 or newer code), They should be working from that until it specifically sends you to the IBC. Without all the details & depending on the level of alteration you might be able to show your BO the correct and acceptable path of compliance.
Isn't this a new building?

Yes, as mtlogcabin said, all you need as proof is the definitions in Chapter 2.

EXIT. That portion of a means of egress system between the exit access and the exit discharge or public way. Exit components include exterior exit doors at the level of exit discharge, interior exit stairways, interior exit ramps, exit passageways, exterior exit stairways and exterior exit ramps and horizontal exits.

EXIT DISCHARGE. That portion of a means of egress system between the termination of an exit and a public way.

They’re misinterpreting what exit and exit discharge is. As stated above, the horizontal fire doors, and the continuous fire wall they are in, ARE the entire exit. It doesn’t matter that it’s only a few inches thick. They don’t require any additional enclosure. You’re not entering into or out of an exit corridor. The left side is the exit access, the right side is the exit discharge, and frankly vice versa. This satisfies the argument of needing protection to the exit discharge, i.e. the right side. TO not THROUGH.

They do not appear to understand the function of horizontal exiting through the firewall. As soon as I am on the other side of the firewall, I am safe from fire.