• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Exit Signs For Vehicles At A Storage Facility

arwat23

I'm having trouble finding anything that relates to exit signs or exit directions for vehicles off street in any California code book. I know this is likely a local ordinance issue, but the way this was told to me makes it sound like it's a state or federal requirement. Project is in CA using 2024 codes. Mini-storage facility containing over 2,000 shipping containers that have been converted into storage units.

We sent some preliminary plans to an inspector from the city to get some feedback and to make sure we were hitting everything the city requires for a conditional use permit. Most of the comments we received are pretty straight forward, except for one. Keep in mind this is not an "official" response to our plans. Just some advice that an inspector gave us.

We were told that the Fire Department, who has not seen these plans yet, would require "exit signs" for vehicle traffic within the property. The site is one of those open mini-storage facilities, one where you drive you vehicle up to your storage unit. It's a huge 12 acre maze. I understand the logic of having some sort of exit indication for vehicle to find a way out. Problem is, I can't find anything that tells me what or where these signs (or markings?) are required or what other requirements that have.

I would ask the Fire Department, but their office is closed until Monday, so I'm hoping someone here knows something I don't, or can at least confirm that this is a local ordinance issue and not a state code issue. I don't normally work on projects like this, so I'm a little out of my element here.

I’ve forwarded your question to a guy I know who specializes in appraisals of storage units.
Meanwhile, off the top of my head I can’t think of anything prescriptive for onsite traffic signage other than local zoning codes.

However, you did mention this will require a CUP. Assuming this is located in California, that will trigger a CEQA initial review/determination. My guess is that a facility that big would eventually trigger some type of Mitigated Negative Declaration Condition of Approval to provide directional signage, in order to promote smooth traffic flow to and from the site, and reduce emissions from people wandering around lost.

I’ve forwarded your question to a guy I know who specializes in appraisals of storage units.
Meanwhile, off the top of my head I can’t think of anything prescriptive for onsite traffic signage other than local zoning codes.
Thanks! If you hear back from them, I'd love to hear if they have any knowledge on this.

Thanks! If you hear back from them, I'd love to hear if they have any knowledge on this.
He replied and said he was not aware of any requirements for directional signage. They have seen the usual "fire lane - no parking" requirement, and they've always seen directional signage as a "best practice" issue for the marketability of this kind of storage facility.

He said that most of these kind of portable container storage facilities are put under Edison power lines, providing a higher income stream than the typical nursery use. All that to say that the Edison sites are typically long and narrow, so it's not too difficult to find your way around, especially with overhead power lines providing visual orientation throughout the site.