• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Exit stair from 2nd floor R-1

retire09

Silver Member
2nd floor is 2500 sf and has two exit stairs but only one is in a rated enclosure.

The other stair is open and exits through the 1st floor lobby.

The building is not sprinklered.

Is this a violation of 1022.1?

If not; what would allow it?

Thanks for the help.

It's new but by amendment in Alaska is not required to have sprinklers.

"When the stairway serves an occupant load of less than 10" the load of the story is more than 10 but is that divided by the number of exits?

That way each stair is serving less than 10 and could both be unenclosed?

Exception 1 allows an open exit stairway from the first to the second floor or from the basement to the first floor where the stairway does not serve more than 10 occupants. An example of the application of this exception is a retail space that has a small office located on the second story, or a small mechanical or storage area in the basement. This exception allows the stair serving the small second floor or basement area to be unenclosed based on the small number of occupants served.

Thught there was another floor opeing exception?? maybe in chapter 7?

maybe this::::

7. In other than Groups I-2 and I-3, a shaft enclosure is not required for a floor opening or an air transfer opening that complies with the following:

7.1. Does not connect more than two stories.

7.2. Is not part of the required means of egress system.

7.3. Is not concealed within the construction of a wall or a floor/ceiling assembly.

7.4. Is not open to a corridor in Group I and R occupancies.

7.5. Is not open to a corridor on nonsprinklered floors in any occupancy.

7.6. Is separated from floor openings and air transfer openings serving other floors by construction conforming to required shaft enclosures.

7.7. Is limited to the same smoke compartment.

is this one of those alaska buildings where they build it first

than a year later do the final inspections????

This was started about 10 years ago and the first floor only was finished and allowed to occupy.

Now they want to build out the existing 2nd floor.

It is only open to one floor but unless you can divide the occupant load by the number of exits it is still serving over 10 and must be enclosed.

Chapter 7 does not help because it is open to a rated corridor and part of the means of egress.

If it open to a rated corridor then it becomes part of the rated corridor or the corridor is not truly rated. 2012 IBC 1018.6

ZIG

So

Is this being done under the original building permit and 2003 Alaska building code?

Or

Are you looking at new plans and has to comply with present code?

So no R-1 have to be sprinkled???

Just put doors on second floor to close off shaft to the corridors ??

you are right!

Can anyone provide code language that would specifically allow or disallow dividing the occupant load by the number of exits in determining the load served?

retire09 said:
you are right!Can anyone provide code language that would specifically allow or disallow dividing the occupant load by the number of exits in determining the load served?
Right about what

cda said:
Right about what
I was responding to ZIGs comment about 1018.6.

Since the building was never completed or issued a C of O but the first floor was approved for occupancy; I am considering the 1st floor to be approved as is but requiring the 2nd floor to comply with current code. I'm treating it like a tenant improvement in a building shell finished to an older code standard.

So why can't they put doors at the top closing off the shaft from the corridor ?

1022.1 General.

Interior exit stairways and interior exit ramps serving as an exit component in a means of egress system shall comply with the requirements of this section. Interior exit stairways and ramps shall lead directly to the exterior of the building or shall be extended to the exterior of the building with an exit passageway conforming to the requirements of Section 1023, except as permitted in Section 1027.1. An interior exit stairway or ramp shall not be used for any purpose other than as a means of egress.

Does not sound like you meet the requirements of 1023 or 1027.1

Did you look at the IEBC for exiting as a Level III or maybe a change of use?

cda-

He mentioned earlier something about the State of Alaska not requiring sprinklers as a code amendment.

retire09-

I guess if the building was existing and this is an alteration and/or change of use you are somewhat limited about what you can require. Presumably the stairs existed previously? Were they previously approved as compliant?

To answer your question; No, occupant load is not divided by the number of exits provided from a level to determine exiting requirements. Quite the opposite; the reason for a second exit is determined by overall occupant load of that level.

ZIG

I have no record specifically approving the stairs but the entire ground floor was given approval to occupy assuming that the 2nd floor was soon to follow. No inspections were ever made for the unfinished 2nd floor. That's why I am trying to treat this like a tenant improvement in an existing building.

I'm considering the shell to be approved but all 2nd floor interior work to be per current code. The open stair goes through a lobby that is separated from the rest of the building by one hour walls.

Can you meet the exit access travel distance limit of 50 feet to the one rated exit enclosure? If you can then only one exit is required in a non sprinkled R occupancy under the 2012 IEBC.

IEBC 805.3.1.1

5. Groups R-1 and R-2 not more than two stories in height, when there are not more than four dwelling units per floor and the exit access travel distance does not exceed 50 feet (15 240 mm). The minimum fire-resistance rating of the exit enclosure and of the opening protection shall be 1 hour.

By Definition, occupant load is the number of persons the means of egress of a building or space is designed to serve; not the number of persons a single exit is expected to serve. Therefore, each exit provided is serving the total occupant load of that area.

The stair in this building should be enclosed but since it is existing and the lobby is separated by one hour walls; I am going to allow it.

Thanks for all the help.

And why not doors on the second floor closing off the first floor from second,

Put them on door holders and basically they are open all the time

The building does not have an alarm system to connect to Mag Holders. Do they still make the holders with fusible links?

retire09 said:
The building does not have an alarm system to connect to Mag Holders. Do they still make the holders with fusible links?
They make either stand alone smoke detectors just to put at the doors or also built into the door closer

Ok so how many total units in this r-1?

No fire alarm system

And once again no R-1 are required to be sprinkled, in your area??