• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Exit stairway at top floor fire separation

sunyaer

I have two questions regarding exit stairway at top floor fire separation, here is the file:

1st question : what is the required fire resistance rating of the roof over the stairway at the top floor?
2nd question: is "there is no floor assembly above" true at the top floor (3rd floor in the file)?

1. Roof rating would be contained in the building classification under 3.2.2.

2. Correct. First thing you need to do is figure out the 3.s.s classification for the building. You need to look at three instances as it have 3 major occupancies and take the most restrictive. The rating required for the floor will apply to the whole wall shared with the remainder of the building.

Exit enclosures are treated very different as you cannot penetrate the exit enclosure for anything that does not directly serve the exit. You need to think about them as their own little box from a fire separation perspective.

Exit enclosures are treated very different as you cannot penetrate the exit enclosure for anything that does not directly serve the exit. You need to think about them as their own little box from a fire separation perspective.

I find this has been a challenge in Part 9 buildings, because the average house-builder wants to build an 8' exit wall with a double top plate to support floor joists, even when I've specifically delayed a permit until plans show a breakout with a ledger through 5/8 Type X drywall.

I find this has been a challenge in Part 9 buildings, because the average house-builder wants to build an 8' exit wall with a double top plate to support floor joists, even when I've specifically delayed a permit until plans show a breakout with a ledger through 5/8 Type X drywall.
We had the same issue when I started. Sometimes it is not the new requirements that get you, it's the ones that have always been there but not enforced.

Would a simple sketch be available to show this?

The more I learn about Canada, the more I love it....."ICC" has given up on this as the builders and designers thought it was too hard...

The more I learn about Canada, the more I love it....."ICC" has given up on this as the builders and designers thought it was too hard...
Once you work through it with a contractor and they can figure out the order work in this area has to be done in, you are good to go.

Would a simple sketch be available to show this?
exit-shaft-good.jpg

Where is (plans show) a breakout with a ledger through 5/8 Type X drywall? Is there a penetration because of that?

What does this have to do with penetration?

What does this have to do with penetration?

If you have flooring members supported by the top plates of what is supposed to be an exit, the joists are compromising the integrity of the fire-rated drywall.

9.9.4.2(4)
"A fire separation that separates an exit from the remainder of the building shall
have no openings except those for electrical wiring, noncombustible conduit and
noncombustible piping that serve only the exit, and for standpipes, sprinkler piping, exit
doorways and wired glass and glass block permitted in Article 9.9.4.3."

If you have flooring members supported by the top plates of what is supposed to be an exit, the joists are compromising the integrity of the fire-rated drywall.

9.9.4.2(4)
"A fire separation that separates an exit from the remainder of the building shall
have no openings except those for electrical wiring, noncombustible conduit and
noncombustible piping that serve only the exit, and for standpipes, sprinkler piping, exit
doorways and wired glass and glass block permitted in Article 9.9.4.3."
That's for sure, the joists framing into the drywall would be acting as fire spreading bridge, correct?

2021 IBC...

1023.5 Penetrations. Penetrations into or through interior
exit stairways and ramps are prohibited except for the
following:

1. Equipment and ductwork necessary for independent
ventilation or pressurization.
2. Fire protection systems.
3. Security systems.
4. Two-way communication systems.
5. Electrical raceway for fire department communication
systems.
6. Electrical raceway serving the interior exit stairway
and ramp and terminating at a steel box not exceeding
16 square inches (0.010 m2).
7. Structural elements supporting the interior exit stairway
or ramp or enclosure, such as beams or joists.

Such penetrations shall be protected in accordance with
Section 714. There shall not be penetrations or communication
openings, whether protected or not, between adjacent
interior exit stairways and ramps.

Exception: Membrane penetrations shall be permitted on
the outside of the interior exit stairway and ramp. Such
penetrations shall be protected in accordance with Section

2021 IBC...

1023.5 Penetrations. Penetrations into or through interior
exit stairways and ramps are prohibited except for the
following:

1. Equipment and ductwork necessary for independent
ventilation or pressurization.
2. Fire protection systems.
3. Security systems.
4. Two-way communication systems.
5. Electrical raceway for fire department communication
systems.
6. Electrical raceway serving the interior exit stairway
and ramp and terminating at a steel box not exceeding
16 square inches (0.010 m2).
7. Structural elements supporting the interior exit stairway
or ramp or enclosure, such as beams or joists.

Such penetrations shall be protected in accordance with
Section 714. There shall not be penetrations or communication
openings, whether protected or not, between adjacent
interior exit stairways and ramps.

Exception: Membrane penetrations shall be permitted on
the outside of the interior exit stairway and ramp. Such
penetrations shall be protected in accordance with Section
Interesting. So IBC has an exception that NBC (Canada) does not.