• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Exit thru intervening spaces question…

platinumaa

Newbie here.. read a lot, 1st post though.. very knowledgable site and enjoy the discussions.. 2 questions, im sure they go hand in hand thoughI am in the very early, planning stages of a possible tenant.. I have an existing tenant space in an existing bldg and would like to know if this would comply with section 1014.2 florida bldg code 2010,.. occupancy is under 300 occupants, approx 6200 sf tenant space, existing adjacent firewall.. it is going to possibly be a daycare, all interior rooms passage hardware-not lockable.. the unit has no distinguishable corridor but all spaces have an exit door that directly leads to the outside.. 1) since there is no corridor does that mean this unit does not comply with 1014.2 since it has to go thru an adjacent space to exit? Or since all spaces have a direct exit to the outside it compliesTable 1015.1 “SPACES WITH ONE EXIT OR EXIT ACCESS DOORWAY” , “daycare, maximum occupant load is 10”.. than goto 1037.2.1 in daycare section “50 persons or an area of more than 1,000 square feet (93 m2) shall have at least two exit access doorways as remotely located from each other as practicable. Such doorways shall provide access to separate exits…”2) is this plan complying since each kids room has 2 exits, one to exterior and the other? Would the other be an EXIT ACCESS DOORWAY? (definition-A door or access point along the path of egress travel from an occupied room, area or space where the path of egress enters an intervening room, corridor, …)my intent is to see if I will be required to make a corridor to join all these rooms.. I believe I comply with the above, and don’t have to modify.. but wanted to ask the experts…Image attached for reference.. I appreciate the response and knowledge.. thanks

View attachment 1707

View attachment 1707

/monthly_2012_06/tn_plan-1.jpg.e813923880ed10bf7a1fbadffd5f5033.jpg

Welcome

Is the floor plan you provided for the whole day care and no other businesses??

is the building sprinkled??

Do you meet travel distance??

Do you meet COMMON PATH OF EGRESS TRAVEL???

Unless the intervening room rule was admened it does not limit the number of rooms you can go through

Looks good especially since each room has an exit to the outside

CDA,

-The building is not sprinkled

-we are within the 150' travel distance

- not sure of the common path of egress travel.. have to look further into that

- not sure what "intervening room rule was admened" is.. please explain this

Sawhorse-found yall awhile back.. use to work for an architect, a lot of times i would try to figure code conflicts out myself.. came here to see if yall have discussed it before.. than just coming back every so often to browse interesting topics.. theres a lot to a bldg code.. interesting how it can be interpreted in different ways sometimes..

thanks again fellas.. looking forward to more responses

thanks for the responses

Did they add to or delete any of the section on intervening rooms??

Or is it as you read it in the code book ??

Table 1015.1 “SPACES WITH ONE EXIT OR EXIT ACCESS DOORWAY” , “daycare, maximum occupant load is 10”.. than goto 1037.2.1 in daycare section “50 persons or an area of more than 1,000 square feet (93 m2) shall have at least two exit access doorways as remotely located from each other as practicable. Such doorways shall provide access to separate exits…”

in trying to figure out exit lites (only one at exterior exit door, or an exit lite at each exit door from each room) how do 1015.1 and 1037.2.1 differ? is it one exit per room or 2?.. these 2 paragraphs are similiar

thanks

When you say lites I presume you meen exit signs? Or are you referring to emergency lighting, in which case all three parts of exitting (exit access, exit, exit discharge) shall have 1-ft candle at the floor for the duration specified by your code (90mins here). If you are questioning signage then the room or space occupied is evaluated individually for occupant load and area to determine if it needs exit signage. A good example is an office in a large building. The individual offices wouldn't have exit signs over the door since they have low occupant load and are small in area but the larger spaces in the building would certainly have them. If you are exitting through intervening rooms as a second means of egress form the spaces then the loading becomes cumulative as you go. Another thing to consider is direction of door swing as you exit through spaces and keeping the flow of people in a general direction to avoid conflicitng door swing requirements. Finally, the only other issue I have seen in this scenario is the doorway widths from one space to the next and ensuring that the width does not diminish along the exit access travel route.

ZIG

Im trying to determine the occupant load.. 1015.1 says 10 per one exit, 1037.2 says 50..

only 1 or 2 rooms will need 2 exits if its 1037.2.. if its 1015.1 than almost all rooms will need 2 exits.. than i will have to install exit lites above either one or both doors in each room.. but not sure how to determine occupant load and exit door amount based on 1015.1 or 1037.2

thanks again for responses!

Would say on day care it is per room

Does that individual room have enough sq ft to require two exits

cda, thats what im trying to figure out.. 1015.1 says 10 max for one exit.. 1037.2 says 50 or 1000 sf.. not sure why 1037.2 breaks out and says 50

thanks

Sorry not near the code books this week

First are you calling this an "E". ????

I do not have or have access to. 1037.2 can you post the section or paraphrase??

Plat-

1015.1 starts off requiring 2 exits for all occupancies and then exception 1 to that section gives the allowances for occupancies with 1 exit and next to the E has a footnote "a" which limits E occupancies that are daycares to a maximum of 10 occupants. The next code section 1015.1.1 then goes on to require 3 exits in all occupancies with 501 -1000 occupants and 4 exits where exceeding 1000 occupants.

Take the square footage of each room and divide it by 35 per Table 1004.1.1 and if the room exceeds 10 occupants it requires 2 extis it not only one is required. Once you establish the exit access travel route cumulatively add up the occupants as you travel along the path. the room where you cumulatively exceed 10 is the first room requiring two exits and the first room/space exceeding 501 occupants will require 3 exits (probably never get to three) Also, be sure you do indeed have an E occupancy daycare defined as the education, supervision or personal care for five or more children over 2-1/2 years of age IBC 305.2. Hope that helps.

ZIG

Don't know Florida Building Codes, perhaps Brudgers may chime in should we miss something.

The code does not specifically address an exit path between a single doorway.

Could you use double pivot doors for OL 50 or more between rooms?

Francis

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm good with double action hinges... I was really trying to avoid saying "swings both ways" there. The confusion would only be present where exit signs would be required. It doesn't seem right to have an exit sign on both sides of a double swinging door. I would probably burn up in the fire doing u-turns trying to get out.

ZIG