• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Exit Window - Rhode Island ?

So - Let me see if I've got this:

RI amended 310.1 says it applies to basements AND bedrooms. RI Amended 310.1.1 (first sentence)says the minimum clear opening area is 4.4 for bedrooms. And minimum dimensions are SPECIFIED BELOW, in the subsections immediately following:

R310.1.2 Minimum opening height. The minimum net clear opening height shall be 24 inches (610 mm).

R310.1.3 Minimum opening width. The minimum net clear opening width shall be 20 inches (508 mm).

Of course this doesn't explain the second ,unintelligible sentence of RI's amended R310.1, which says that sometimes, the minimum area is 5.7 SF, but darned if I can figure out when! (Yes, I know: Where 24H and 20W requirements can be met only with window sashes easily removable without the use of keys, tools or excessive force !!!

Which brings us back, I think, to the opening post of this thread! ;-)