• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Exiting from Private Dining Patio

ccanney

Hello,
We are in the design stages of a remodel to an existing restaurant space in California. A-2 occupancy, fire sprinkled building with an interior occupant load of under 300. We are planning a private dining room which will have access to an existing exterior patio to be utilized as prefunction or break out space for private events. We would like omit an existing stair so as limit access from the private patio to the public right of way. The overall building layout provides the required minimum number of exits with proper separation and travel distances. My question is whether the exterior patio space needs to be included when determining occupant load. Without the exterior patio area the load of the Private Dining space is below 50 and would only require one exit. If the exterior needs to be calculated we would I believe need 2 exits. However, I am not seeing any clear description in the 2022 CBC.

Attachments

• Private Dining Room and Patio.pdf
    62.8 KB · Views: 9

1004.7 Outdoor Areas

Yards, patios, occupied roofs, courts and similar outdoor areas accessible to and usable by the building occupants shall be provided with means of egress as required by this chapter. The occupant load of such outdoor areas shall be assigned by the building official in accordance with the anticipated use. Where outdoor areas are to be used by persons in addition to the occupants of the building, and the path of egress travel from the outdoor areas passes through the building, means of egress requirements for the building shall be based on the sum of the occupant loads of the building plus the outdoor areas.

Just because you will only using it now for just for a break out area for the occupants inside doesn't mean it will be used like this in the future or with a different owner.

I would be concerned with no exits from the patio as you are already out of the building. To re-enter doesn't make good sense to me. As for limiting people from outside the patio, a screen/fence of some sort and exit only hardware on the gate/door.

I would be concerned with no exits from the patio as you are already out of the building. To re-enter doesn't make good sense to me. As for limiting people from outside the patio, a screen/fence of some sort and exit only hardware on the gate/door.
So if it were a roof top lounge, where the only possibility was re-entry?