• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Exits from Story

VLADIMIR LEVIN

In an R2 occupancy, if the 3rd story has 8 apartments but only 4 of the apartments exit onto that story, can there be only one exit from that story?

If the story has more than 4..it needs more than 1....
I found this:

The commentary below the Table says:
Formal committee interpretation 21-14 states that this table allows for groups of four units on a story to have access to a single exit.
Which seems to be in line what I was saying earlier.
Any thoughts?

Do you have access to Formal committee interpretation 21-14?

Per § 1006.3.4(1), if the number of units does not EXCEED the number of units listed in Table 1006.3.4(1), then only one exit is required. I would argue that if only four units discharge to that story, only one exit would be required under this section. I would contact the local building official / fire marshal to get confirmation on their interpretation of this section.

Per § 1006.3.4(1), if the number of units does not EXCEED the number of units listed in Table 1006.3.4(1), then only one exit is required. I would argue that if only four units discharge to that story, only one exit would be required under this section. I would contact the local building official / fire marshal to get confirmation on their interpretation of this section.
I agree. I reached out to the state for confirmation. Will post back when I get an answer