• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Exothermic Welding Connection of Concrete Encased Electrode

jar546

Forum Coordinator
So they seriously thought I was going to be OK with this? Yeah, don't bother telling me and hope I don't see it. As a result I gave them an option to do it again right in front of me right now or pay for me to come back the following week and a $75 reinspection fee. I like to give choices.

IMG_4832.jpg

I think there is a problem with concrete cover on the reinforcing.

I would guess that the concern is the resistance between the grounding wire and the reinforcing serving as part of a ufer ground. I believe the electrical code addresses these issues. This does not require special inspection.

I think there is a problem with concrete cover on the reinforcing.

I would guess that the concern is the resistance between the grounding wire and the reinforcing serving as part of a ufer ground. I believe the electrical code addresses these issues. This does not require special inspection.
They are going to lift it when they pour....like the mesh...

due to the fact that the clamp was not tight, it heated up, since the current did not pass over all surfaces, but only at the point of contact, therefore it overheated and burned out
Not likely, since there was no current passing through the joint. It’s still under construction.

due to the fact that the clamp was not tight, it heated up, since the current did not pass over all surfaces, but only at the point of contact, therefore it overheated and burned out
There is no clamp and there should never be current. This is a failed exothermic weld and a $78 re-inspection fee is too cheap.

When I hear that they plan to lift the wire fabric during construction I assume that they are trying to reinforce the soil since most of the wire fabric will be on the ground. Totally unacceptable. All reinforcement needs to be chaired or in some other way tied in place prior to placing the concrete.

Exothermic welding results in less resistance than you could get with a clamp.