• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Expensive Retaining Wall Repairs

Re: Expensive Retaining Wall Repairs

We have a retaining wall similsr to the one you posted. They are using tie-backs to secure the wall.

For those who don't know what I am talking about or for me not saying the technical name for them. What I am talking about is a probably 25 to 30 foot steel rod with a toggle on the end of it that when the rod is driven into the bank a certain distance, it is then pulled back out and a "wing" will open up and pull against the undisturbed soil. not sure of the pressure these are pulled at but 4500 PSI sticks in the head. I'll verify if I have lied to you guys tomorrow! :oops: Then the rods are secured to the blocks.

Pretty cool system. This is the second time we have used this system and so far it is holding up vert well!

Re: Expensive Retaining Wall Repairs

Mule without looking I believe the rods are call "wigwag" but let me check. If they would have terraced this wall it would not have blown out at the bottom with the movement.