• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Exposed ICF's in garage

mark handler said:
Which is where the fire will start.
No.

The fire will start at the turkey fryer, or the lawnmower next to the pile of newspapers, or the Tesla electric car.

Let's worry about the separation between the garage and house, and not the petty strip of foam at the bottom of the exterior wall.

How about ICF exposed in bathrooms, toilet rooms, closets, halls, storage or utility spaces and similar areas do not require a thermal barrier?

R702.3.4 Insulating concrete form walls.

Foam plastics for insulating concrete form walls constructed in accordance with :Next('./icod_irc_2012_4_par046.htm')'>Sections R404.1.2 and :Next('./icod_irc_2012_6_par239.htm')'>R611 on the interior of habitable spaces shall be protected in accordance with :Next('./icod_irc_2012_3_par211.htm')'>Section R316.4. Use of adhesives in conjunction with mechanical fasteners is permitted. Adhesives used for interior and exterior finishes shall be compatible with the insulating form materials.

HABITABLE SPACE. A space in a building for living, sleeping, eating or cooking. Bathrooms, toilet rooms, closets, halls, storage or utility spaces and similar areas are not considered habitable spaces.

ACCEPTANCE CRITERIA FOR STAY-IN-PLACE, FOAM PLASTIC INSULATINGCONCRETE FORM (ICF) SYSTEMS FOR SOLID CONCRETE WALLS4

3.4 Thermal Barrier:

Except as noted in Section 3.6 of this criteria, a thermal barrier is required to be installed over the interior face of the ICFs. Under IRC Section R702.3.4, the thermal barrier is required to be installed over the interior

I can see your point. You are talking about approximately 55 sq ft of foam 2 inches thick. I bet the average couch has more than that.

I thought this was figured out on the first page of replies, use denseglass on the lowest 6-12" and sheetrock on up from there.........not that complicated.

That looks like a big "Whoops!" FV....In post 27...If someone pushed it I would argue that the habitable space extends into the non-habitable room....

R316.5.1 Masonry or concrete construction.

The thermal barrier specified in Section R316.4 is not required in a masonry or concrete wall, floor or roof when the foam plastic insulation is separated from the interior of the building by a minimum 1-inch (25 mm) thickness of masonry or concrete.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cover it with FRTW if the gypsum is a problem. But do cover it. The only place I left the ICF exposed in my house is in the bilco well. Every where else is covered.

Off subject a bit, but I'm wondering why the contractor is using ICF in this situation anyhow. I don't see any benefits to it, the labor saving vs forming is negligible taking into consideration the cost of ICF.