• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Extending non-load bearing, stud wall height

Don Free

First time poster - I live in SW FL and am raising my ceiling height from 8' to 9' with LVL spanning each truss; yes, I had a structural engineer design it :). Hopefully, the image I added below works.

My question: What is the proper way to extend an existing, non-load bearing stud wall from 8' to 9' to meet the new ceiling height?

I've seen a top/bottom plate with 9" studs that were strapped to the existing stud wall - is this common? Or the right way?

Thanks for your consideration!

Don

Welcome

yes to direct post, you have to be a Sawhorse forum supporting person.

Or like you found out, make it a link and post the link

Anyway I am not into building walls, so no help

Give it a few days for great answers

Open the vertical wall

Seems like put a plate at the top

Remove the top plate

Piggy back the vertical studs, to the new plate??

Im thinking youre going to lose the ceiling sheetrock and at least the sheetrock on one side of the walls so you can access the wiring to stretch the romex the additional foot. I would be tempted to add a new top plate at the new ceiling line, then sister in new styds to reach the top plate. Overlap the studs a couple of feet.
You could leave the existing top plate in place, add short studs to reach the new higher top plate. That creates a hinge point. And if you don’t replace the sheetrock you will have to deal with a horizontal joint that might be difficult to get flat.

When it comes to non-bearing partitions and bottom truss chords, I have usually used a slotted hole simpson clip that allows vertical movement of the partition without affecting the bottom truss chord. Your truss is getting modified so I'm not sure if you will need the clip. Mark K probably would know.