• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Exterior Electrical Light Fixtures

north star

Sawhorse
* * = = * *

I have a project where exterior Area Security Lighting will be installed.

I have received a Proposal to install either the Metal Halide type of light

fixtures, or the LED type of light fixtures.

Typically, do the Metal Halide types require more energy to provide the

same level of lighting as the LED's, or is it the other way around ?

Thanks for any input !

= = * * = =

The metal halide will require more energy to illuminate, however, LED lighting is almost directional...... For example, i had to use two LED area lights to replace the signle metal halide light I had..... But the two LED fixtures are using about 2/3 the energy of the single metal halide...

Greetings,

A elect contractor whom I know fairly well did a large house in a local community. I don't recall the square footage but it was big. He told me the whole house was LED. 18,000$ in bulbs. The funny part is he said he could have done the whole house with just a couple of circuits because of the low wattage usage.

I replaced my 90 watt halogen floods in my man cave with LED's I will have to say, I prefer the halogen. Halogen is just so darn hot and go out once a year or so, not to mention use a lot of power. Also like Bob said, they are more directional even though there supposed to be floods.

BS

north star said:
Typically, do the Metal Halide types require more energy to provide the

same level of lighting as the LED's

Without a doubt. Our respected members that say LED's are directional are not up on the multitude of luminaires available today. This technology has progressed faster than anything I have seen. Cree and Ecno Light have excellent luminaires at very reasonable prices to fit almost any need.

I agree with Chris. I have 8 recessed cans in my kitchen. I had 75 watt R30 incandescent floods in there so I changed them to 10.5 watt LED. Not only are the LED's a lot brighter the difference in wattage is substantial-- 75 x 8 = 600 watts..... 10.5 watts x 8 = 84 watts.

I also did a job where I replace 400 watt metal halide fixtures with 64 watt LED units. The light was perhaps a bit more directed but that was 2 years ago, but it had the equivalent amount of light

Metal Halide lamps will last about 20,000 hours and LED lights will last 100,000 plus. Be sure the LED's are DLC or lighting Design Lab listed. Otherwise, the light level and life expectancy numbers have not been verified. Given the lamp life, the maintenance costs for the LED lamps could be substantially less.