• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Exterior Fire Door on Auto Repair Shop?

LGreene

Is there something in the IBC that would require an exterior overhead door for an auto repair shop to be fire rated? I know if it's within a certain distance of another building or an inside corner of the same building there could be a requirement, but what if it's just a free-standing rectangular building with no other buildings nearby?

Should not need to be

Another one of them code officials asking for one or asked for one??

cda said:
Should not need to beAnother one of them code officials asking for one or asked for one??
This plus no windows or upper floor openings above would be the only other possible reasons I could think......I had a project manager one time tell me I needed to put in a fire rated roof access hatch...I think he was afraid the birds might get their feathers singed.....

Depending upon it fire separation distance (distance to the property line) The 90 degree corner rule does generally not apply to the same building.