• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

exterior staircase fire rated?

suoLL RBM

Hi, I want to know if I have a exterior steel staircase separated from the building about 1ft, do I need to fire rate it? The staircase is not enclosed.
Thank you

What is the use group, constuction type, number of stories, occupany count per floor, number of other exits for the areas served, travel distiance to the other exits and this exit?

What is the use group, constuction type, number of stories, occupany count per floor, number of other exits for the areas served, travel distiance to the other exits and this exit?
Hi,
Use group is B, CONSTRUCTION TYPE II-B, 2 stories, 37 occupants per floor, only two exits for the area served, travel distances are about 45ft to both exits.
Thank you,

the stair need to be of a material that meets the requirement of II-B construction
2015 IBC

1011.7 Stairway construction. Stairways shall be built of
materials consistent with the types permitted for the type of
construction of the building, except that wood handrails shall
be permitted for all types of construction.

Thank you, another question is, do we need a minimum separation from the building? currently we are showing the staircase 1 ft apart from the existing building.

1027.6 has more requirements than I posted so I recommend you read that section thoroughly to see if you comply

1027.5 Location.
Exterior exit stairways and ramps shall have a minimum fire separation distance of 10 feet (3048 mm) measured at right angles from the exterior edge of the stairway or ramps, including landings, to:

1. Adjacent lot lines.

2. Other portions of the building.

3. Other buildings on the same lot unless the adjacent building exterior walls and openings are protected in accordance with Section 705 based on fire separation distance.

For the purposes of this section, other portions of the building shall be treated as separate buildings.

Exception: Exterior exit stairways and ramps serving individual dwelling units of Group R-3 shall have a minimum fire separation distance of 5 feet (1525 mm).

1027.6 Exterior exit stairway and ramp protection.
Exterior exit stairways and ramps shall be separated from the interior of the building as required in Section 1023.2. Openings shall be limited to those necessary for egress from normally occupied spaces. Where a vertical plane projecting from the edge of an exterior exit stairway or ramp and landings is exposed by other parts of the building at an angle of less than 180 degrees (3.14 rad), the exterior wall shall be rated in accordance with Section 1023.7.

1027.6 has more requirements than I posted so I recommend you read that section thoroughly to see if you comply

1027.5 Location.
Exterior exit stairways and ramps shall have a minimum fire separation distance of 10 feet (3048 mm) measured at right angles from the exterior edge of the stairway or ramps, including landings, to:

1. Adjacent lot lines.

2. Other portions of the building.

3. Other buildings on the same lot unless the adjacent building exterior walls and openings are protected in accordance with Section 705 based on fire separation distance.

For the purposes of this section, other portions of the building shall be treated as separate buildings.

Exception: Exterior exit stairways and ramps serving individual dwelling units of Group R-3 shall have a minimum fire separation distance of 5 feet (1525 mm).

1027.6 Exterior exit stairway and ramp protection.
Exterior exit stairways and ramps shall be separated from the interior of the building as required in Section 1023.2. Openings shall be limited to those necessary for egress from normally occupied spaces. Where a vertical plane projecting from the edge of an exterior exit stairway or ramp and landings is exposed by other parts of the building at an angle of less than 180 degrees (3.14 rad), the exterior wall shall be rated in accordance with Section 1023.7.
Thank you. In case I can't comply with 10ft of separation, Do I need to fire rate the staircase's structure (steel)?

You need to be more specific as to what part of the 10ft separation requirement you may not be able to comply with. Adjoining building, lot line, other portions of the same building. The exterior staircase needs to be usable by the occupants. Fire rating the staircase structure is not the issue. Protecting the occupants is.

1655155272091.png