• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Exterior Wall ratings and Fire Sprinklers

I'm not sure that it is irrelevant is it? I could use the extra 5 or so feet if not.
From a fire rating standpoint, both building "should be" at least 20' apart with no rating, that is kind of what I was going by.

I'm not sure that it is irrelevant is it? I could use the extra 5 or so feet if not.
From a fire rating standpoint, both building "should be" at least 20' apart with no rating, that is kind of what I was going by.
The code doesn't address existing buildings on a separate lot. Some may call it an existing non-conformity. Is it wise to consider it, yes, but not required by the IBC. The intent of the code is for each building to be compliant in its own right, not dependent upon another building on a separate lot. For this reason, the FSD is measured to the property line, not the mid-point between the two buildings (withholding buildings on same lot w/ imaginary lot line).

Yes...it is...

[BF]FIRE SEPARATION DISTANCE. The distance measured from the building face to one of the following:

1. 1.The closest interior lot line.
  2. 2.To the centerline of a street, an alley or public way.
  3. 3.To an imaginary line between two buildings on the lot.
The distance shall be measured at right angles from the face of the wall.

I did visit the definition of FSD as well, I will plan on our building being compliant and listing the other building as existing non-compliant.
Thanks all for the input!

Distance from property line vs. a neighboring building seems to be a bit of a gray area. Although you should be able to build ~10' away with no exterior rating, what if those 2 buildings and 2 properties are bought by one owner in the future, and combined into a single property? Now both buildings will be non-conforming if they're 15' apart from each other with no ratings. To ensure no future issues, it's best to either building 20' from the closest building, or rate the exterior wall facing the closest building if you need to build closer than 20' away.

PatrickGSR,
We are planning for 20' between the between the building for the reasons that you mentioned. Thanks again all.