• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Exterior windows in California meeting SFM Standard 12-7A-2?

khsmith55

Bronze Member
Am a bit confused and lost here. I am in Colorado, but the local Jurisdiction has adopted (i.e. cribbed) parts of what appears to be sections of CBC Chapter 7 in their Amendments. This includes references to SFM Standards ( thru my research these are CA State Fire Marshal Standards?). My biggest problem at this time, is finding windows or manufacturers that meet SFM Standard 12-7A-2 for windows. The only thing I could find were testing standards on the CA State Fire Marshals web site. I have not found any window manufacturer that list meeting this Standard. I’m looking to my colleagues in CA for help and guidance, if you had a list of CA State approved manufacturers that would be great. Thanks in advance.

Kenneth H. Smith AIA

In my experience what seems to be the main focus is that at least one pane of the window must be tempered (can be inside or outside pane if dual glazed). I normally call out for the exterior pane to be tempered so that if someone is weed-eating and throws a stone/pebble it crumbles the exterior.

Thanks MtnArch, I caught that and have no problem. My concern is the type of window, lately we have been using JeldWen vinyl windows and I can't imagine them "passing" the testing criteria. My gut feeling is that we must use a metal clad wood or metal window to meet the testing requirements. All input and suggestions are welcomed.
Thanks
Ken