• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

F-1 Occupancy Load

Phil B

SAWHORSE
Table 1000.5 does not have an area allowance for category Factory F-1. If you have a manufacturing and fabrication use, but if it's not Hazard H5, you apparently can't use 1 person per 200 sf. It looks like you have to use Industrial at 1 person per 100 sf which raises the occupant load and affects toilet fixture quantities. How do others handle this?

IMHO: It depends on the use and the equipment installed for that use. You could have a 10,000 sq foot building that has an assembly line that takes 75 people to operate or one that is fully automated and only needs 10 people to operate. I will always require the egress be designed to handle what the Table has listed However I am open to discussion about the number of plumbing fixtures that may be needed to adequately serve the workers.

FYI: Manufacturing in the 1988 UBC was a 200 OL factor and a B-4 occupancy. There wasn't an F or S categories in the code during that time frame

1004.5 Areas without fixed seating.
.................. Where an intended function is not listed in Table 1004.5, the building official shall establish a function based on a listed function that most nearly resembles the intended function.

Exception: Where approved by the building official, the actual number of occupants for whom each occupied space, floor or building is designed, although less than those determined by calculation, shall be permitted to be used in the determination of the design occupant load.

For F-1 I typically use the Industrial area occupant load, which as you know is 100 SF/person, which I've always thought is a little high as far as occupant count goes. But I've done it in the past, and designed toilet fixtures to account for that load. But I've also done the toilet count based on actual number of employees per shift, and the AHJ's in my area are usually okay with that.