• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Factory Mutual Global Standards

Robert

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this. I am designing an extensive vegetated roof (residential). The plan checker has asked for me to "meet Factory Mutual Global Standards for engineering and membrane testing.".There are many components involved (membrane, draimnat, root barrier, protection board, Class A overlayment, etc.) so am I correct that the membrane is the only item that needs to come from a company that has given it FMG compliance?

Also, with the engineering needing FMG compliance, does this mean that I need to redesign the assembly and all of its parts to an assembly that has already met the FMG standards? Where would I find those assemblies?

Thanks CDA. This is a single family home in Berkeley (I have looked at the standards you posted on their website). The pdf looks like a generic spec without any proprietary names and my assembly matches what is shown. It sounds like I need to get the membrane testing information from the roofing company and submit that, but the engineering has me confused. Of course our engineer has designed for the roof so not sure what else to provide.

Thanks CDA. This is a single family home in Berkeley (I have looked at the standards you posted on their website). The pdf looks like a generic spec without any proprietary names and my assembly matches what is shown. It sounds like I need to get the membrane testing information from the roofing company and submit that' date=' but the engineering has me confused. Of course our engineer has designed for the roof so not sure what else to provide.[/quote']Just a SWAG

seems like the ahj just needs to see you meet all aspects of that spec. Suggest you reference different sections of it on the plans to show you have looked at it.

Good luck in Berkeley

Just wondering,"through life," What is the typical dead load per square foot added to the roof when going green? SWAG will do?

St Augustine or rye grass

I have no idea??? Sorry on the ahj side and do not do houses or structural

Since a roof garden is not within the prescriptive requirements of the IRC you will need to use the IBC

Live Load is 100 PSF

1606.1 General.

Dead loads are those loads defined in Section 1602.1. Dead loads shall be considered permanent loads.

1606.2 Design dead load.

For purposes of design, the actual weights of materials of construction and fixed service equipment shall be used. In the absence of definite information, values used shall be subject to the approval of the building official.

Type of soils, amount of moisture will be held by the soils, thickness of the soil. It all needs to be included in the dead load amount.

Suggest that you confirm with the plan checker the code section he is invoking. My search suggests that when FM standards are listed that there is at least one other option that does not require FM certification.