• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Fall Protection - Solar Roof Mounted Panels

T.Kull

We are seeing a significant increase in solar permits, and have a question about roof mounted units, and fall protection.Example, we have an array mounted on a metal storage shed, and adjacent to it, are metal building provided translucent panels for lighting the interior of the storage building. We have a concern, that an individual on the roof 'maintaining' (aka cleaning) the solar array, could possible step back or onto a panel and have a quick trip to the hospital. What requirements are there, or could be enforced; as we see it as a life safety issue?Thanks as always.

View attachment 2060

View attachment 2060

/monthly_2014_05/solar.jpg.8d7ae36704995ca725ac37c001f4c339.jpg

Welcome to the forum

I do not believe cleaning is the same as maintenance and I do not know of a code provision for fall protection in the IRC. I believe the workers protection would be the responsibility of the company and individual to comply with OSHA requirements.

How many inspectors would require a permanent ladder/platform/catwalk for solar panels on a commercal building. The only exception in 2009 IMC 306.5 is for R-3.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum, and I agree there is no provisions for fall protection in the code, short of the IMC.

Common sense........or OSHA.........

Define"Walking Surface"?

304.11 Guards. Guards shall be provided where appliances,

equipment, fans or other components that require service

and roof hatch openings are located within 10 feet (3048

mm) of a roof edge or open side of a walking surface and

such edge or open side is located more than 30 inches (762

mm) above the floor, roof or grade below. The guard shall

extend not less than 30 inches (762 mm) beyond each end of

such appliances, equipment, fans, components and roof hatch

openings and the top of the guard shall be located not less

than 42 inches (1067 mm) above the elevated surface adjacent

to the guard. The guard shall be constructed so as to prevent

the passage of a 21-inch-diameter (533 mm) sphere and

shall comply with the loading requirements for guards specified

in the International Building Code.

hlfireinspector said:
Define"Walking Surface"?304.11 Guards. Guards shall be provided where appliances,

equipment, fans or other components that require service

and roof hatch openings are located within 10 feet (3048

mm) of a roof edge or open side of a walking surface and

such edge or open side is located more than 30 inches (762

mm) above the floor, roof or grade below. The guard shall

extend not less than 30 inches (762 mm) beyond each end of

such appliances, equipment, fans, components and roof hatch

openings and the top of the guard shall be located not less

than 42 inches (1067 mm) above the elevated surface adjacent

to the guard. The guard shall be constructed so as to prevent

the passage of a 21-inch-diameter (533 mm) sphere and

shall comply with the loading requirements for guards specified

in the International Building Code.
...and roof hatch openings are located within 10 feet... Are we talking flat roof commercial, or sloped roof residential?

Tend to agree that worker safety is an OSHA issue, not a Code issue per se.

We do a lot of PV permits, mostly from one company. They have an infinately better safety program than your average roofer (nearly none as far as I can tell). I recently was present for a spot check of safety at a job and saw the crew get grilled and the equipment checked over pretty extensively.......of course we don't use any of their safety equipment when we inspect them! If any work had to be done post install I think it is up to the company to provide adequate safety measures. Of course thats not speaking to all current or future PV outfits but it is the majority here, at least for now.