• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Federal lawsuit claims Seattle sidewalks, streets are inadequate

mark handler

SAWHORSE
Federal lawsuit claims Seattle sidewalks, streets are inadequate

By Lindsay Cohen Oct 8, 2015

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Federal-lawsuit-filed-against-Seattle-says-sidewalks-streets--331486791.html

SEATTLE -- A disability rights group has filed a federal lawsuit against Seattle, arguing the city isn't doing enough to make sure intersections, sidewalks, and curb ramps are accessible to everyone.

The suit, filed Thursday by Disability Rights Washington, doesn't seek monetary damages but aims to force the city to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act, which mandates that newly constructed or altered streets have sloped areas to accommodate wheelchairs, walkers, and more.

"We're not asking the city to fix it today or even tomorrow. We really just want a plan," said Emily Cooper, an attorney for the nonprofit. "We want a concrete plan on how they're going to fix all the concrete ramps in the city so everyone can work or visit Seattle safely."

Seattle invests more money per capita on curb ramps than places like Los Angeles and Chicago, countered city officials. This year, workers are scheduled to install more than 1,300 ramps on Seattle streets.

"The City takes its responsibilities under the Americans with Disabilities Act very seriously," said City Attorney Pete Holmes, in a written response to the statement. "We're confident our record will prove persuasive."

David Whedbee, an attorney and one of the plaintiffs named in the lawsuit, says he regularly has to guide his wheelchair into a bus lane on his commute through the International DIstrict in order to avoid a sidewalk that does not have a curb ramp.

"The bus driver has a green light and I have a green light and it leads to a point of conflict," he said. "I have to pay extra attention to some of these places along my route to make sure I don't get hit by a bus."

A second plaintiff named in the suit, Conrad Reynoldson, said he regularly runs into similar problems when meeting with clients and associates downtown.

"It's dangerous, first and foremost. It's not safe to cross the street if you have to go out into the middle of the intersection to go," said Reynoldson, who also relies on a wheelchair to get around. "You put your life at risk every time you cross the street."

"The major thrust of the lawsuit is to get change," added Whedbee. "Ideally it wouldn't entail years of litigation. We're just hoping the city will finally sit down and try to resolve this problem with us."

"The City takes its responsibilities under the Americans with Disabilities Act very seriously," said City Attorney Pete Holmes, in a written response to the statement. "We're confident our record will prove persuasive."

We don't know if the area downtown is just a section or the whole downtown? Meeting with clients and associates downtown was the claim.

Does the public and the complainant think that City's have an abundance of funds for sidewalk and ramp repairs? most city's don't.

Did the complainant actual provide the area that needs repair? Did the City respond with an answer?

There's usually a thing called a budget, and the process to fund city projects?

Is the City of Seattle receiving monies from the Feds for ADA projects?

Sounds like the City of Seattle is on it!

\ said:
Does the public and the complainant think that City's have an abundance of funds for sidewalk and ramp repairs? most city's don't.Did the complainant actual provide the area that needs repair? Did the City respond with an answer?

There's usually a thing called a budget, and the process to fund city projects?

Is the City of Seattle receiving monies from the Feds for ADA projects?
That's a theme that runs through all of this out-of-control regulation, there is an assumption that all businesses and government entities have unlimited monies to pay for their whims, maybe we ought to put a special tax on disabled people that always seek special services.

1300 ramps would be about 325 intersections @ 4 ramps per intersection.

Not a whole lot for a city of that covers 84 sq miles and

As of 2010, Seattle has an inventory of 3,952 lane-miles (12-ft) of street pavements. The busiest streets, arterials, account for approximately 1,540 lane-miles of the system. Arterials are the city’s most critical connectors and are the principal means by which people and goods move about the city. The remaining 2,412 lane-miles are non-arterials, which carry lower volumes, but nonetheless serve a variety of users. Most non-arterials are residential, but some also support commerce and industry

25 years, its been 25 years with which to address on a year by year basis the requirements to comply.

More costly today to cure than if they had been doing it all along.

ADAguy said:
25 years, its been 25 years with which to address on a year by year basis the requirements to comply. .
Do you believe there should now be 100% complete compliance since it has been 25 years.

My understanding of the original ADA was barrier removals for buildings. Public ROW's did not have clear regulations governing them.

The DOJ lists the following, in order of priority, as the areas served by walkways whereaccessibility must be provided:• Entities covered by the ADA, including state and local government offices and facilities• Transportation (bus stops, train stations, etc.)• Places of public accommodation (private businesses)• Employers• Other areas

Gray AreasUntil the DOJ adopts and enforces standards specific to the design and construction of pedestrianfacilities in the public right-of-way, the methods used to prevent discrimination in those facilitiesmay remain more art than science

http://www.adainformation.org/sites/adainformation.org/files/prow-standards_guidelines_gray_areas.pdf

100% cannot be achieved as has been proven time and time again.

However it is a fair expectation that some level of progress should be made as opposed no attempt at all.

If you shot low, you will never get the bird in the tree.

you will achieve the results of your thoughts, If you think something will fail, it will.

ADAguy said:
100% cannot be achieved as has been proven time and time again. However it is a fair expectation that some level of progress should be made as opposed no attempt at all.
The question is who is going to pay for it, I've suggested that we tax the disabled since disability income is tax-free and the rest of us have to pay taxes on our income, another idea is to take the money from the Seattle public employee pension funds, they are bankrupt so they can go ahead and build the gimp ramps, pay for it with pension money, then wipe it out by bankrupting the pension fund.

\ said:
LIKE so many other municipalities and state governments, the City of Seattle faces potentially gigantic financial problems with its employee pension system. This problem is urgent and it must be confronted.Presently, the unfunded liability of the Seattle City Employees’ Retirement System, which covers 78 percent of the city’s workforce that includes your neighborhood librarian and local parks department staff, exceeds $1 billion. ¹
If you owe a billion dollars what's a little more?

¹ http://www.seattletimes.com/opinion/guest-seattlersquos-pension-system-is-unsustainable/

ADAguy said:
100% cannot be achieved as has been proven time and time again. However it is a fair expectation that some level of progress should be made as opposed no attempt at all.
"Seattle invests more money per capita on curb ramps than places like Los Angeles and Chicago, countered city officials. This year, workers are scheduled to install more than 1,300 ramps on Seattle streets."

Brent.

"The bus driver has a green light and I have a green light and it leads to a point of conflict," he said. "I have to pay extra attention to some of these places along my route to make sure I don't get hit by a bus."

Welcome to earth a55hole.

Brent

Even if a block sidewalk is compliant today, it likely won't be 5 years from now due to settlement, tree roots, and frost heave.

I think the new rules that Seattle must comply with are to supply a "Loo" and "Cable TV" at at every corner downtown? ;)