• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Federal standards

Sifu

SAWHORSE
I am trying to understand the federal efficiency minimums of residential HAVC equipment. From what I can tell, new rules for AC and heat pumps were effective Jan 2023, but that no new rules have been mandated (yet) for furnaces. Thus, the 78% min. is still in effect?

I must have seen 10 different sources with 10 different opinions on the furnaces, so I need to be sure. Best I can tell a 95% standard is slated in 2029. Can anyone shed any more light on this?

Also, any insight for commercial requirements?

@ ~ @ ~ @

The Link \ website is from the U.S. Office of Energy Efficiency & Renewable Energy.
There are various types of equipment that you can click on for more info.

Also, you could research some of the larger company websites like Trane
and others. Their info is coming from the U.S. Dept. of Energy.

Trane.

Johnson Controls.

@ ~ @ ~ @

@ ~ @ ~ @

The Link \ website is from the U.S. Office of Energy Efficiency & Renewable Energy.
There are various types of equipment that you can click on for more info.
I saw this as well but I seems it is not a min. federal standard for non-FEMP and non-energy star equipment.
Also, you could research some of the larger company websites like Trane
and others. Their info is coming from the U.S. Dept. of Energy.

Trane.

Johnson Controls.

@ ~ @ ~ @
I also looked at several of the manufacturer websites and found much of the same info. But they don't appear to apply to gas furnaces. What I am looking for are changes to the old (current?) 80% efficiency standards. Basically eliminating the use of non-condensing furnaces. I know they have tried to raise them several times but backed off, but I thought they were trying or had already succeeded in getting the new min. to 95%. However, in looking for it I have found several resources that indicate it will not take effect until 2029.

Codes and many individual AHJ's are tying to the "federal minimum" but I just can't find it.

@ = @ = @

I found this document from the Link that I provided earlier.

Find Product Efficiency Requirements​

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) provides residential furnace program requirements and efficiency criteria on the ENERGY STAR website. Manufacturers meeting these requirements are allowed to display the ENERGY STAR label on complying models. Federal buyers can use ENERGY STAR's list of certified residential furnaces to identify or verify complying models.

Click on the Link ( in blue ), see Page 2 of 4, Table 1 for Gas and Oil Furnace Requirements.

& ( ) & ( ) &

@ = @ = @

I found this document from the Link that I provided earlier.

Find Product Efficiency Requirements​

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) provides residential furnace program requirements and efficiency criteria on the ENERGY STAR website. Manufacturers meeting these requirements are allowed to display the ENERGY STAR label on complying models. Federal buyers can use ENERGY STAR's list of certified residential furnaces to identify or verify complying models.

Click on the Link ( in blue ), see Page 2 of 4, Table 1 for Gas and Oil Furnace Requirements.

& ( ) & ( ) &
But aren't these just energy star requirements? The most recent "official" document I can find is the DOE withdrawal of the increased min. standards because it eliminated non-condensing furnaces. That was in early 2021.

1679510080114.png

# ~ # ~ #
I found the website and Link to the "Standards for Residential Furnaces"

on the DOE website.

Apparently, the 95% efficiency requirement has not been enacted.

# ~ # ~ #

Ok, everything points to it still being at 80%. A/C's and heat pumps have a new efficiency nomenclature and efficiency standard but apparently not for furnaces. YET.