• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Fernco for sanitary

I'll bite....Being that it is exterior, I assume venting isn't a concern, so the connection below the midline is not a concern. The 6 to 12 is not a concern that I am aware of either. Clamps could be so ask for listing/ installation instructions...Pitch looks ugly on the 12" but that's why I don't accept pictures on plumbing...EVER...

No concern with the Fernco. Listed for the use pictured, specifically with the reinforced band.

What I do see is the the 6" appears to tie-in with the 12" at about mid-line. It should be rolled-up to above mid-line of the 12" to avoid build-up of solids on the Y. Note that this is not required by code but is the way I was taught to do it whenever possible.

Last edited:
$ > $ > $

** classicT **, ...I agree with your view of how the 6" drain line in to the 12"

drain line is connected........It "should be" connected above the center
line of the 12" pipe.

How would you recommend \ suggest to someone installing the
connecting fitting to have it above the center line, ...especially if the
6"
drain line is already in-place & sloped ?........Just sayin'... o_O

& < & < &

Only applicable if it is a vent:

905.3 Vent Connection to Drainage System

Every dry vent connecting to a horizontal drain shall connect above the centerline of the horizontal drain pipe.
I didn't say it was required...I said that it "should be."

Code is the minimum standard, not best practice. Building to code minimum is a near shameful endeavor. Those who have knowledge and experience aspire to do much more than the code minimum.

How would you recommend \ suggest to someone installing the
connecting fitting to have it above the center line, ...especially if the
6"
drain line is already in-place & sloped ?........Just sayin'... o_O
Noting again, not a code requirement - more a best practice.

I will say that to roll the pipe above mid-line would only be about 3" of lost fall. Would require an additional 1/8-bend. But doing so prevents build up via impact and accretion and performs much better for venting purposes.

@ = @ = @

From Dictionary.com........Accretion:

noun
1. an increase by natural growth or by gradual external addition; growth in size or extent.
2. the result of this process.
3. an added part; addition: "The last part of the legend is a later accretion."
4. the growing together of separate parts into a single whole.
5. Law.
increase of property by gradual natural additions, as of land by alluvion.

@ = @ = @

Noting again, not a code requirement - more a best practice.

I will say that to roll the pipe above mid-line would only be about 3" of lost fall.
And 3" of lost elevation on a 6" line pitched at the minimum 1/8" would affect 24' of pipe before it.....What is worse, a flatter pipe run or that connection?

Looks to be mixing SDR 26 & SDR 35. May just be different pipe manufactures.

I would call out for the fernco’s, use gasketed slip couplings that are designed for this pipe.

Pitch or vent or whatever that is, not enough details in photos.