• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Fiberglass Rebar.

1622639857623.png
Interesting. I never saw that section that requires conductive rebar in buildings. Is that in the iRC, IBC or NEC?
You need to read the previous post I was replying to,

I'm only guessing that it can't be used as a CEE
in the footings.

What say ye other learned Forum members \
guests ?

If you are going to use it in a UFER, yes it must be conductive, that was the question as I understood it, and was answering to!

And since I don't know of an approved structural rebar that is NOT conductive, it is a moot point.

FRP rebar has made some progress in bridge decks because it doesn't corrode like steel.

From what I understand, a critical factor in steel rebar is that it will rust over time, creating pressure in the concrete. (Yeah, I've been bingewatching the forensics on Champlain Towers ...)

Would there not be merit in using an epoxy or fibreglass encapsulation of steel rebar to prevent this? A composite?

I've only seen it in driveway construction, contractor told me he likes it and only uses steel when a custormer wants it.

Highway bridges are usually built with epoxy coated rebar (it looks green if you observe it). I've never seen a highway project use fiberglass rebar, if it really was good I'm sure that the DOT would be mandating it!

I've only seen it in driveway construction, contractor told me he likes it and only uses steel when a custormer wants it.
? I don't believe I've ever seen fiberglass rebar used in a driveway, most of it around here uses WWF sheets. Do you have any idea what size or spacing he uses? It's certainly going to jack up the price unless he really spacing out a lot.

Do you have any idea what size or spacing he uses? It's certainly going to jack up the price unless he really spacing out a lot.
He typacally places it on 2ft centers EW and uses #4's. He does most of his work outside my jurisdiction. He claims it's been running cheaper than steel, that I can't confirm.

With sufficient concrete cover the chemistry of the concrete inhibits the occurrence of rust. This is the reason we require a minimum cover.

Epoxy coated reinforcement can protect the rebar but if there are any voids not only will this allow the formation of rust at the location of the defect but the rate of formation will be greater than in uncoated rebar.

To reiterate fiberglass rebar is not allowed by ACI 318. In my opinion it was improper for ICC to issue an ESR for its use.

We would probably allow it in driveways & flat work or header curbs. These are things that don't require permits. Have not ever seen it used here.