• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Fire alarm system installation where not required.

Bill Seegmuller

I am reviewing a set of plans for a dentist office in an existing building (NY state) where a fire alarm system is not required (2015 IBC 907.2.2) but they are showing one anyway on their plans. However, their alarm system is substandard - they are not showing strobes in the bathrooms, and the horns are located in the entry foyer and rear exit foyer, and that's it.

My question is: if an alarm system is not required by code, does it still have to meet code?

My answer would be yes.

Cannot talk for how NY does business.

Are you looking at actual fire alarm plans or building plans, that show fire alarm symbols

My answer would be yes.

Are you looking at actual fire alarm plans or building plans, that show fire alarm symbols

Yes, they included a fire alarm plan. Just missing some where there should be some, if an alarm system was required in this space.

I guess kick it back with comments

2015 IFC has a paragraph that makes no sense to me. One way I read it you have to meet NFPA and another way it says I could sprinkle one room

Have to love codes

0732DA0D-0009-490C-9FA6-C4874B9D11DF.jpeg

I would make the owner aware of the shortages, but if its not required by code, and does not create a hazard, I don’t think you have any basis to reject the plans based on the alarm system.

My answer would be yes.

Since you are talking about a dentist office,,,

The system might be required by some other ahj,,, state, Fed,, other

So they may want it to code, and expect you to enforce it...

The other question is ..

What all activates the system????

I would say go ahead and require a/Vs per 72,,, not that many more or added money.

I guess kick it back with comments

2015 IFC has a paragraph that makes no sense to me. One way I read it you have to meet NFPA and another way it says I could sprinkle one room

Have to love codes

View attachment 6603
Appears to be a commentary, not enforceable by opinion, but suspect it is the same in the fire code

Appears to be a commentary, not enforceable by opinion, but suspect it is the same in the fire code

The first part of the picture/ first sentence 901.4.2 is code.

Yes the rest of the book tries to explain one sentence

yes it is, but in totality of law not enforceable, by adoptive measures of the jurisdiction you are in. Can't speak for the rest of the states, but in VA a no go, since it is not in the administrative section of chapter 1 as a referenced document to enforce as in indicated in chapter 35 VCC, as is referenced by the old dominion's, DHCD and by proxy code of Virginia legislatively speaking.