• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

FIRE APPARATUS ACCESS ROADS - DEFICIENCIES AND MITIGATION

T-Bird

We are looking to develop a residential flag lot (lot that has a long skinny access and looks like a flag on a flag pole) that does not have the required fire apparatus access road, access is too narrow and too long. What sort of mitigations might be available for a lot like this? Is there a code section that talks about these types of deficencies and pairing mitigations? I've looked at 2018 IFC Section 503 and Appendix D.

Some agencies will consider fire sprinklers for the SFD's, some areas have allowed the garages to be fire sprinklered in addition to the habitable areas as outlined in NFPA 13 D. (See Appendix A Section 8.3.4), Additional Options are further distance between buildings to reduce density (Fuel Load for fire fighting)… Etc. Etc. Etc.
IMHO a fire hydrant is not the answer as this is a passive fire protection system that does nothing but sits there as dogs pee on it...….and does the same thing when there is a house fire. (Until approx. ten minutes later when firefighter arrive on the big red rigs.)

I agree with All You All that Sprinklers could offset the safety deficient, but would like to repeat a great observation I heard a number of years ago
SMOKE DETECTORS SAVE LIVES. SPRINKLERS SAVE PROPERTY
( Of course they can control or even suppress fires and certainly can give you some additional TIME to get the Hell Out!

Just felt like I should add my 2 cents

I agree with All You All that Sprinklers could offset the safety deficient, but would like to repeat a great observation I heard a number of years ago
SMOKE DETECTORS SAVE LIVES. SPRINKLERS SAVE PROPERTY
( Of course they can control or even suppress fires and certainly can give you some additional TIME to get the Hell Out!

Just felt like I should add my 2 cents
A 13D system is not designed to save the property.....

1645721530805.png

13D

1645721591806.png