• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Fire Barrier Opening

skipharper

Proposed project has a masonry fire barrier and the designer is proposing instead of a fire shutter door a heat detector above the opening that will trip a dry chemical ansul system. Where in the 2009 IBC is this permitted? The theory here is a crane that operates horizontally thru two spaces could be used however I am not familiar with this allowance at all.

Thanks and Happy 4th Too All!!!

Where in the 2009 IBC is this permitted? The theory here is a crane that operates horizontally thru two spaces could be used however I am not familiar with this allowance at all.
Not in my edition either :) The theory is flawed in part by the absense of a barrier meeting a resistance rating. Once the dry chem is spent the opening may be subject to long periods of rest allowing the hazard to penetrate the now non protected opening as implied by Chapter 7

We have permitted performance based openings used in conjunction with conveyors protected by greater volume design supply, piping and sprinklers with opening rated shutters that operate upon activation of sprinklers or alarm system once the conveyor shuts off and that close down onto the conveyor. The theory being the small opening with sprinklers on both sides can maintain the fire until we arrive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed, nothing I can think of would allow this. Even if the agent discharged, it sounds as if the rooms would be too large to hold any type of concentration of the agent. Not to mention not meeting the resistance barrier requirement as FM Burns mentions.

Not sure how you could protect it, with a track running on the ceiling

Is the fire barrier necessary and need to be located where planned? Would the installation of two fire barriers at either end of the crane track solve the problem? I'm sure this has all been considered but I have found that sometimes individuals get vested in a particular design to the point of seeing what their plan as the only option. What other options can you offer to solve this issue? It's difficult to be creative from this side of the net without better information or drawings.

ZIG

This would be a Code modification for the building official to figure out. Does it offer equal protection is for him/her to figure out, because it's outside the scope of the code.

a line of closely spaced sprinklers along both sides of the opening could be offered as an alternate solution

Thanks for the replies all!! The way I see it they have other options but the folks getting the big designers monies need to figure it out, I quit designing!! AegisFPE that is some cool stuff shared and thanks, the opening is rather large but this is good to know!!