• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Fire Barrier vs Fire Partion for Exit Corridor

EasilyConfused

Bronze Member
Not sure I have the terminology correct (exit corridor).

Is there some easy way to understand when the code requires moving from requiring a fire partition to requiring the use of a fire barrier? I have what I would classify as a 1 hour rated exit corridor and I'm trying to determine if I need a 1 hour or 20 min fire shutter for a transaction counter that penetrates the wall. If it's a fire partition, it needs to be 20 min but if it's a fire barrier it needs to be 1 hour.

Corridors, when required to have a fire-resistance rating, are constructed of fire partitions. See Section 1018.1 (2012 IBC).

Not sure I have the terminology correct (exit corridor).Is there some easy way to understand when the code requires moving from requiring a fire partition to requiring the use of a fire barrier? I have what I would classify as a 1 hour rated exit corridor and I'm trying to determine if I need a 1 hour or 20 min fire shutter for a transaction counter that penetrates the wall. If it's a fire partition, it needs to be 20 min but if it's a fire barrier it needs to be 1 hour.
You have to walk thru the various code sections

Start with construction type than it sends you to opening protection

A lot of times you have to bounce around the code ,,, to get a total answer

For exit passageway;;;;

http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/ic...?bu2=undefined

Last edited by a moderator:
A 'corridor' is a component of 'exit access'. Exit access is not part of the protected path (the 'exit') and typically requires lesser protection than an 'exit passageway' which is a component of the 'exit' or protected path out.

Details like common path of egress travel and total travel distance to an 'exit' will help to determine if the area in question is truly a corridor (exit access) or an exit passageway (part of the protected path).

A 'corridor' is a component of 'exit access'. Exit access is not part of the protected path (the 'exit') and typically requires lesser protection than an 'exit passageway' which is a component of the 'exit' or protected path out.

Details like common path of egress travel and total travel distance to an 'exit' will help to determine if the area in question is truly a corridor (exit access) or an exit passageway (part of the protected path).
How about if the corridor walls were fire-rated, it may be the beginning exit itself.