• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Fire Blocking at Drop Ceilings

benny

Bronze Member
Library addition; walls (over 12' in height) and ceilings sheet rocked. Drop ceilings at 12', rows of fire blocking installed at 10'. Is fire blocking still required at the ceiling level? (IBC 717.2.2)

Thank you!

I would say no in a common sense answer. After all two feet of wall before the ceiling???? However if you look at the code, the code implies that you must fireblock any portion of a wall where the wall has a opening where fire could go from wall into the ceiling cavity.

Wait as I type this and reread your post you say walls "over" 12'.... So I changed my mind.....

Yes you do need fireblocking at the ceiling..............

deleted....didn't make any sense......I was full of crap......brain dead today......I shouldn't even go to work......so why is today different from any other day?

Last edited by a moderator:
benny said:
Library addition; walls (over 12' in height) and ceilings sheet rocked. Drop ceilings at 12', rows of fire blocking installed at 10'. Is fire blocking still required at the ceiling level? (IBC 717.2.2)Thank you!
The wall/ceiling intersection requires a fire-block no matter what the height of the wall may be. In this case the ceiling is at 12'. That creates a concealed space that requires a fire-block at 6' not at 10' as the code says to bisect the space or some such thing as that. In other words, it's all screwed up. Feel free to use my exact verbiage.:devil

Last edited by a moderator: