• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Fire Codes NJ

Frank Waite

Hello,
Are there specific uniform codes for NJ regarding fire doors ( 90 minute ) with respect to the following?

2 Issues
1 location is a condominium development who want to re-purpose a small room
enclosed with fire rated double doors
I was going to recommend fire rated exit devices LBR with the use of fire pin
Can I use electric latch retraction device on 1 exit device as there will be card access
or do I need to use electrified outside trim to open in an alarm condition?

2nd location Commercial office building:
Asking for doors to be electrified after the fact
Doors are already on site without electrical raceway ( Cant use electric locks at this point
Can I use fire-rated fail secure electric strikes in standard 4 7/8 frame prep
( HES 8300)
Some are utility rooms, some are corridor pass through doors separating defined spaces
Thanks in advance

Hello,
Are there specific uniform codes for NJ regarding fire doors ( 90 minute ) with respect to the following?

2 Issues
1 location is a condominium development who want to re-purpose a small room
enclosed with fire rated double doors
I was going to recommend fire rated exit devices LBR with the use of fire pin
Can I use electric latch retraction device on 1 exit device as there will be card access
or do I need to use electrified outside trim to open in an alarm condition?

2nd location Commercial office building:
Asking for doors to be electrified after the fact
Doors are already on site without electrical raceway ( Cant use electric locks at this point
Can I use fire-rated fail secure electric strikes in standard 4 7/8 frame prep
( HES 8300)
Some are utility rooms, some are corridor pass through doors separating defined spaces
Thanks in advance

Not sure the question or questions

1. Are the doors in place already?
2. Are the fire rated doors?

3. The doors, if rated, have to positive latch at ALL times.

4. 2nd location, you might be ok.

Suggest email your question to this person, and see if it can get clarified:::

Email about half way down:::

https://idighardware.com/about-2/

Hi Frank -

1st Location - You can use electric latch retraction fire exit hardware, but during a fire alarm the latch would have to project automatically. The only reason I can think of that you would have to use electrified lever trim is if it needs to be fail safe to allow access to the room during a fire alarm or power failure. This is not typical except for stairwell doors.

2nd location - I can't think of a reason that the fail secure electric strikes would not be acceptable as long as they are not stairwell doors.

- Lori