• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Fire Door Signage

LGreene

For all of the AHJs out there...I would like to know if you would approve signage on fire doors that meets the 2022 edition of NFPA 80, in jurisdictions where that edition has not yet been adopted. In a nutshell, the new standard allows slightly larger metal signs than the past editions, and allows metal signs to be attached with 4 steel fasteners instead of requiring signs to be attached with adhesive.

Since the 2022 edition will not be referenced by a model code until the 2024 editions of those come out, I'm wondering if it would be worth requesting approval as an equivalency or a code modification, or whether everyone just needs to be patient and wait for the standard to be officially adopted. It might seem like an inconsequential thing - signs on fire doors - but I know a lot of facilities struggle with this.

There's more information about the change here: https://idighardware.com/2022/01/code-update-signage-on-fire-doors/

I'm going to chime in here, in part to see what other say, since I think this is germane to a lot of "when we know new standards are coming out, what do we do?" questions, and I want to see the answers.

My example on this is that when Canada's 2015 Code came out, it relaxed a requirement from 2010 Code on balusters in guards. 2010 code basically said "no horizontal elements" (in a nutshell) whereas 2015 NBC said "Well, if you're only going to fall a short distance, meh." From what I can gather, most Canadian AHJs that were in 2010 allowed the 2015 provision to take place under the general guideline of "this will meet future codes, even if it doesn't meet current codes."

However, there were also some folks who were very firm in the belief that if anything went wrong (ie, someone went splat) the AHJ would be liable, unless the client requested an Engineer-written Alternative Solution to use all of the 2015 Code....

IBC allows Alternative Solutions - would you accept this under that guise, where the AS was crafted to allow NFPA 80 2022 interp for this particular element, given as its coming down the pipe in any regard?

Current standards do not require signage on fire-resistant Flat Entrance Doors. They must, however, have functional self-closing systems and smoke seals. Electrical cabinets and other rooms with fire doors should have a sign that says 'fire door remains shut.' Put up the legally needed signage and leave it at that. According to my thinking, depending on which side you are on, any door is a fire exit!