• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Fire Door Two-Point Latching Options and Minimum Latch Points from Door to Frame

bneil

First part of this question is the general question: What is the minimum number of latch points that must be between the door and frame (excludes door-to-door latch points)? My understanding from a little research and my own fire testing experience is fire rated 2-point latching requires two points of latching from the doors into the frame.

Second part is a challenge to find an example with one point of latching into the frame (if it exists): Can someone find an example of fire rated hardware with top rod or top flush/surface bolt only on the inactive door and rim or mortise lock/exit device on the active door? According to the Sargent Full Catalogue at the time of this posting, this cannot be fire rated (pg.535/1126).

Are you asking about single doors or pairs? Singles typically have one latch point. The most common applications for pairs are either vertical rod fire exit hardware on both leaves or flush bolts on one leaf and lockset/latchset or fire exit hardware on the other. There are automatic flush bolts and fire exit hardware available that have only a top latch, and an auxiliary fire pin instead of the bottom latch.

Are you asking about single doors or pairs? Singles typically have one latch point. The most common applications for pairs are either vertical rod fire exit hardware on both leaves or flush bolts on one leaf and lockset/latchset or fire exit hardware on the other. There are automatic flush bolts and fire exit hardware available that have only a top latch, and an auxiliary fire pin instead of the bottom latch.
Hello and thanks for looking into this. I am asking about pairs. The Sargent svr/cvr devices are not fire ratable less bottom rod in combination with a mortised or rim lock/exit device on the active door (see example from my post). Flush bolts may be stronger, thus allowing one latch point to hold both doors but looking for proof. I am seeking documentation indicating that a top flush bolt or vertical rod only (with bottom fire pin) x mortise/rim device is fire rated.

Still looking for an answer. Here is a more concise problem statement:

Looking for: A data sheet or link to certified hardware as an assembly with top flush bolt only on the inactive door and rim or mortise lock/exit device on the active door. According to the Sargent Full Catalogue at the time of this posting, this cannot be fire rated (pg.535/1126).