• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Fire hydrant's

Jmciver

Can anyone tell me what the max. required amount of torque or operating force that needed to open the main valve/operating nut on a underground Mueller fire hydrant(200-300 ft. lbs ?) and where I can find that info.

Also, does anyone know the requirements, F.A.A. or otherwise for the location requirements for fire hydrants on an airport airfield/runway and where that info is found?

Thanks

Contact mueller ?

FAA is their own animal

And are you talking building protection?

Of around the taxi ways

More than likely there is no specific torque

Sometimes depends on how often the hydrant is opened

Coug Dad said:
I imagine the UL Listing or FM Approval would specify a maximum.
If it don't open get a bigger cheater bar

Or do maintance on it

thank you all for the input. i did find info from AWWA C502 however it is from 1994. to open and close operating nut it is 200 ft. lbs. i did look at Mueller but only found the torque for the hold down nut(200-300 ft. lbs).