• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Fire Penetration Fix

jar546

Forum Coordinator
This was found during a renovation of a condominium and a type IB building. This is for the unit above. This is something that we enforce when we see it, and rightfully so.

how do you handle situations that you find like this?
C13E30F5-3AF8-4225-A356-5D42C20837A5.jpeg

Failure to maintain system/component as rewed by construction

2015 IBC
[A] 102.6 Existing structures. The legal occupancy of any
structure existing on the date of adoption of this code shall be
permitted to continue without change, except as otherwise
specifically provided in this code, the International Existing
Building Code, the International Property Maintenance Code
or the International Fire Code.

[A] 102.6.2 Buildings previously occupied. The legal
occupancy of any building existing on the date of adoption
of this code shall be permitted to continue without change,
except as otherwise specifically provided in this code, the
International Fire Code or International Property Maintenance
Code, or as is deemed necessary by the building
official for the general safety and welfare of the occupants
and the public.

If the work was done without a permit I would require a permit for it and engineered plans for the work that was done and the fix. What the heck is up there anyway? At first I thought it was a bathtub or shower but there is no trap.

I've heard from some inspectors that say it is not part of the scope of work on the permit so they can't enforce it. I see it differently.
I agree. If the construction type is IB, then any penetration through the floor/ceiling assembly must have a 2-hour rating and should have been caught by the inspectors.

Am I missing something that requires the penetration to be rated when the rating is for construction type? dwelling unit to dwelling unit I would agree, but not 2hr..
Metallic penetrations are easy to address though under 714.4.1

The construction type requires 2-hour construction for horizontal assemblies, whether it is within a dwelling unit or between dwelling units. The purpose of construction type fire-resistive requirements is to protect the integrity of the structural system; who knows how much coverage there is remaining over the reinforcement.

Section 714.4.1 only applies to walls--not horizontal assemblies. Section 714.5.1 applies to horizontal assemblies, and Exception 2 does allow 6-inch-diameter steel, ferrous, or copper penetrants provided the annular space is protected with "concrete, grout or mortar" for the full thickness of the floor. I think we can confidently say that there is no protection of the annular space in the photo.

Que?

714.4 Horizontal assemblies. Penetrations of a fire-resistance-
rated floor, floor/ceiling assembly or the ceiling membrane
of a roof/ceiling assembly not required to be enclosed
in a shaft by Section 712.1 shall be protected in accordance
with Sections 714.4.1 through 714.4.4.
714.4.1 Through penetrations. Through penetrations of
horizontal assemblies
shall comply with Section 714.4.1.1
or 714.4.1.2.
Exceptions:

The end result of both is fill it with grout and play through....

Que?

714.4 Horizontal assemblies. Penetrations of a fire-resistance-
rated floor, floor/ceiling assembly or the ceiling membrane
of a roof/ceiling assembly not required to be enclosed
in a shaft by Section 712.1 shall be protected in accordance
with Sections 714.4.1 through 714.4.4.
714.4.1 Through penetrations. Through penetrations of
horizontal assemblies
shall comply with Section 714.4.1.1
or 714.4.1.2.
Exceptions:

The end result of both is fill it with grout and play through....
Sorry, I was looking at the 2018 IBC, which has horizontal assemblies in Section 714.5. In the 2015 IBC and earlier, it was in Section 714.4. The paragraphs shifted when they inserted a new paragraph after Section 714.1.