• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Fire-Resistance Rating Requirement Rating for Exterior Walls in Existing Buildings with a Zero Separation Distance to an Interior Lot Line

HauckArch

Is there something in the code that allows existing window openings to remain in an existing building with a zero separation distance to the interior lot line? I have a project in a Type III-B (masonry exterior walls), fully sprinklered commercial building built in 1946 with several windows on both sides. I think the original use was aircraft manufacturing. We are looking to do a commercial T.I. for a new bar and restaurant, so this would be considered a Change of Use. I assume the Change of Use triggers adhering to the current code which does not allow openings in exterior wall with a 0-3 ft separation distance (Table 705.8), and these windows would have to be closed up with 1 hour construction per Table 705.5 for A-2 occupancy or 2 hour for exterior bearing walls per Table 601. There is a coffee shop across the street in a much larger building that has one side on the lot line and they were allowed to keep the existing windows on that side. That project would have also been considered a Change of Use. Is there a provision that allows openings with 0-3ft distance to the lot line in an existing building? Note: This project is in New Jersey which does not have an Existing section in its building code. But this is good information for any jurisdiction. If you have any insight or experience with this, in this jurisdiction or another, I would love to hear it. Thank you!

Are you certain that New Jersey doesn't have an existing section in its building code? My recollection is that New Jersey was the first state in the country to promulgate an existing building code, and that the ICC IEBC was an outgrowth of the New Jersey code.

Okay -- it's a separate code:

Are you certain that New Jersey doesn't have an existing section in its building code? My recollection is that New Jersey was the first state in the country to promulgate an existing building code, and that the ICC IEBC was an outgrowth of the New Jersey code.

Okay -- it's a separate code:

Thanks. Nice of them to call it "Rehab Subcode" and not "Existing Building Code" like everyone else. Good to know. It appears that the original F-1 occupancy for aircraft manufacturing is a higher hazard than the proposed use of A-2, so we don't have to comply with the Change of Use requirements. But we do need to comply with the Alteration requirements. I don't see anything in §5:23-6.6 for alterations that addressed openings in exterior walls. I will speak to the local building official about this, but it sounds like we may be OK to leave the existing openings.

Thanks. Nice of them to call it "Rehab Subcode" and not "Existing Building Code" like everyone else. Good to know. It appears that the original F-1 occupancy for aircraft manufacturing is a higher hazard than the proposed use of A-2, so we don't have to comply with the Change of Use requirements. But we do need to comply with the Alteration requirements. I don't see anything in §5:23-6.6 for alterations that addressed openings in exterior walls. I will speak to the local building official about this, but it sounds like we may be OK to leave the existing openings.
Swapping a window in a "rated location" should require it to meet "new" requirements...But not sure about NJ...

702.7 Materials and Methods

New work shall comply with the materials and methods requirements in the International Building Code, International Energy Conservation Code, International Mechanical Code and International Plumbing Code, as applicable, that specify material standards, detail of installation and connection, joints, penetrations and continuity of any element, component or system in the building.

And while you are at it, watch for the energy code in Change of Use....

I will take a look a the Change of Use for the energy code as well. Our intention would be to not touch the windows at all, other than to replace any broken panes. The coffee shop across the street replaced all glass but kept the existing frames and mullions. Perhaps they used NJ Commercial Energy Code §5.1.3, exception (2)? Which states: "Replacement of glazing in existing sash and frame, provided the U-factor and SHGC will be equal to or lower than before the glass replacement."

Nice Jeep BTW

Check definitions carefully. You need to find where the line is drawn between "repair," "replace," and "alter."

Thanks. Will do. Since this is a Change of Use, I would assume it would be that, or Alteration. There really is no Repair or Replacement happening.

This section might help us as well: "§5:23-6.31 (f)(2.)(iii.) When a change of use is made to an equal or lesser hazard classification as shown in Table F, no change in existing exterior wall openings is required. (Plan review--Building, Fire. Inspection--Building)"

We have a meeting with the building official next week to get further clarification.

Thanks. Will do. Since this is a Change of Use, I would assume it would be that, or Alteration. There really is no Repair or Replacement happening.

This section might help us as well: "§5:23-6.31 (f)(2.)(iii.) When a change of use is made to an equal or lesser hazard classification as shown in Table F, no change in existing exterior wall openings is required. (Plan review--Building, Fire. Inspection--Building)"

We have a meeting with the building official next week to get further clarification.

If you replace just the glass in existing windows, that's "repair."

If you replace entire windows in the original rough opening, that's probably "replacement."

If you remove existing windows and change the opening size, or add or block up window openings, that's most likely "alteration."

Is this a change of use or a change of occupancy? I thought one was stricter than the other.

Is there something in the code that allows existing window openings to remain in an existing building with a zero separation distance to the interior lot line?

The real question is: is there something in the code that does NOT allow existing windows to remain in an existing building?

The real question is: is there something in the code that does NOT allow existing windows to remain in an existing building?
Yes...at least this in the IEBC for change of occupancy....

1011.7.3 Opening Protectives

Openings in exterior walls shall be protected as required by the International Building Code. Where openings in the exterior walls are required to be protected because of their distance from the lot line, the sum of the area of such openings shall not exceed 50 percent of the total area of the wall in each story.