• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

"Fire Retardant Treated Wood"

So I have a building that has expanded and not requires a 2 hour separation or fire sprinklers. The current separation is a single 5/8 sheetrock wall for a 1 hour rating. They are proposing intumescent paint on the wall to add another 1 hour rating. It looks like 2018 IBC 603.1.21 will allow it. It also looks like 703..3.4 would require a FPE to sign off. Any suggestions?

The intumescent coatings referred to in IBC 603.1.21 are not paints. They are typically spray-applied "fireproofing" products. Note that IBC 603.1.21 says "
determined on the basis of fire resistance tests in accordance with Section 703.2 ..." The person or entity proposing the fireproof paint should provide a test report from an accredited testing laboratory or agency demonstrating that when applied to gypsum wallboard the intumescent material increase the fire resistance by at least one hour.

IBC 603.1.21 refers to IBC 703.2:

703.2 Fire-resistance ratings. The fire-resistance rating of
building elements, components or assemblies shall be determined
in accordance with the test procedures set forth in
ASTM E119 or UL 263 or in accordance with Section 703.3
The fire-resistance rating of penetrations and fire-resistant
joint systems shall be determined in accordance Sections 714
and 715, respectively.

So I have a building that has expanded and not requires a 2 hour separation or fire sprinklers. The current separation is a single 5/8 sheetrock wall for a 1 hour rating. They are proposing intumescent paint on the wall to add another 1 hour rating. It looks like 2018 IBC 603.1.21 will allow it. It also looks like 703..3.4 would require a FPE to sign off. Any suggestions?

What you refer to as 703.3.4 is actually 703.3 #4. Number 4 is only one of six possible approaches to determining the fire resistance rating. Section 703.3 says the rating can be determined by "any one of the following methods or procedures."

And... that does not mean the assembly will meet 2-hours. It means that the manufacturer tested per ASTM E119 and if installed per their guidelines, will achieve the reported protection. Does the installation specifications include application on GWB? Most I have seen do not, with the typical application being on concrete, steel, or other structural members.

Oh, if I had a buck for every time I've heard "can we just add this paint <insert some crap from overseas with no ULC reference or testing under code>...."

I have yet to see any UL/ULC-listed assembly that achieves a fire-resistance rating using an applied intumescent product.

There are some that work on gyp, with an ICC-ESR, but it is paint>gyp>studs<gyp<gyp.....I have not seen one with paint on both sides....

Even if the manufacturer claims their magic product has an ICC ESR, you have to read the ESR to see what the product was tested for and what the ESR covers.