• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Fire Seperation M/S1/M

Re: Fire Seperation M/S1/M

Glennman CBO said:
Is this the point you are making Plans Examiner?
Kinda.

With nonseparated mixed uses, once you hit the threshold of 12,000 sf in a fire area, you require sprinklers by applying the most restrictive applicable provision of Chapter 9 (508.3.2.1). So I think that 2009 707.3.9 clears up the separated mixed occupancy problem.

But, throughout this discussion, I was reading instead of thinking. While reading your post, I had a duh! moment. :idea: Place the fire separation 1 inch (more or less) into the M area and make the separation according to 2006 Table 706.3.9. The single occupancy M is separated according to code. So that the result is one fire area as M and another that is mixed occupancy of a very small M plus the S-1.

I feel better. :p

Plans Approver said:
\ said:
Is this the point you are making Plans Examiner?
Kinda.

With nonseparated mixed uses, once you hit the threshold of 12,000 sf in a fire area, you require sprinklers by applying the most restrictive applicable provision of Chapter 9 (508.3.2.1). So I think that 2009 707.3.9 clears up the separated mixed occupancy problem.

But, throughout this discussion, I was reading instead of thinking. While reading your post, I had a duh! moment. :idea: Place the fire separation 1 inch (more or less) into the M area and make the separation according to 2006 Table 706.3.9. The single occupancy M is separated according to code. So that the result is one fire area as M and another that is mixed occupancy of a very small M plus the S-1.

I feel better. :p [/quote:3s24v7ci]

I agree.

Ooops. I realized I was quoting from the '06 but referencing the '09. I see that they did make a change in the wording in the '09 to include "mixed occupancies" in the text. I guess that does clear up some issues. I need to start weaning myself from the '06 soon anyway. Thanks Plans Approver.