• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Fire service for NFPA 13R system

duckbill

Bronze Member
Pennsylvania is under the 2009 ICC codes which reference the 2007 edition of NFPA 13R. I do not see a reference in that standard for any regulations or requirements for the underground fire service piping. It does not even reference NFPA 13 or NFPA 20 for the installation. Are there no requirements or am I missing something?

It typically requires a larger than usual water service. I believe you have to add 5 GPM or so for domestic water to the calculated sprinkler flow when you have a combined service.

Thank you CDA.

So with no requirements, there are no thrust blocks, no bedding, no testing, no burial depth restrictions for an 8" main servicing a 4-story, 30-unit apartment building.

Yes to all except cannot talk about burial depth

May have to lean on plumbing code