• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Fire Sprinklers Required?

palikona

I'm planning a 10,000 1 story dental office building, Type 5B, with 3 separate suites/offices. I do not need to plan for automatic fire sprinklers, correct?
Thanks

Following the CO amended 2021 IBC

Table 506.2 lists maximum allowable area for a non-sprinkled Type V-B as 9,000sf. If you can get a frontage increase, you may be ok; see Section 506.3.

Following Steveray, does this dentist use gas or any other treatment that knocks people out? If so, and there is the possibility of 4 or more patients incapable of self preservation (i.e. drugged or knocked out), then you will need to follow Section 422 (Ambulatory Care Facilities) and Section 903.2.2 (provided below).

[F] 903.2.2 Ambulatory Care Facilities

An automatic sprinkler system shall be installed throughout the entire floor containing an ambulatory care facility where either of the following conditions exist at any time:
  1. Four or more care recipients are incapable of self-preservation.
  2. One or more care recipients that are incapable of self-preservation are located at other than the level of exit discharge serving such a facility.
In buildings where ambulatory care is provided on levels other than the level of exit discharge, an automatic sprinkler system shall be installed throughout the entire floor as well as all floors below where such care is provided, and all floors between the level of ambulatory care and the nearest level of exit discharge, the level of exit discharge, and all floors below the level of exit discharge.
Exception: Floors classified as an open parking garage are not required to be sprinklered.

IMHO four or more would apply in the aggregate with all tenants.
The definition clarifies it a bit.

[BG] AMBULATORY CARE FACILITY. Buildings or portions thereof used to provide medical, surgical, psychiatric, nursing or similar care on a less than 24-hour basis to persons who are rendered incapable of self-preservation by the services provided or staff has accepted responsibility for care recipients already incapable.

Also needed for this discussion...

[BG] INCAPABLE OF SELF-PRESERVATION. Persons who, because of age, physical limitations, mental limitations, chemical dependency or medical treatment, cannot respond as an individual to an emergency situation.

1st tenant. Dental office with one room for putting someone under.
2nd tenant. Dental surgeon with two rooms for putting someone under.
3rd tenant. Plastic surgeon with two rooms for putting someone under.

Each individual tenant is an ambulatory care facility, and each individual tenant does not require a fire suppression system. However, the aggregate amount will IMHO.

Ask the questions and document the answers for the decision you make.

AMBULATORY CARE FACILITY. Buildings or portions thereof

1st tenant. Dental office with one room for putting someone under.
2nd tenant. Dental surgeon with two rooms for putting someone under.
3rd tenant. Plastic surgeon with two rooms for putting someone under.

Each individual tenant is an ambulatory care facility, and each individual tenant does not require a fire suppression system. However, the aggregate amount will IMHO.

Ask the questions and document the answers for the decision you make.
Not sure if you think I am disagreeing with you or... but I agree.