• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Fireblocking and draftstopping?

steveray

SAWHORSE
VB (wood frame) 4000 sq ft restaurant (no sprinklers) TJI roof structure with suspended ceiling below. Drywall on wood studs to 10', studs continue to roof framing approx. 16'. Do you folks consider the space above an acoustical ceiling a "concealed space" for FB and DS purposes, thereby requiring FB in the wall cavities at or near the top of the drywall and/ or DS hung off of the roof framing down to the acoustical ceiling plane? Thanks!

Reactions: JBI
Yes, we would. Vertical cavities communicating with horizontal space above, FB applies. We wouldn't push the DS in this case.

Thanks Guys!...I just like to check when I get these national chains and they don't seem to know what they are doing when I know it is not their first building....Them..."We just did 10 like this!"...Me .."I don't care how many you have done wrong, let's get this one right!"

Have you looked at the energy code requiring an "air barrier" since the space above the dropped ceiling is conditioned and not an attic.
Drywall is a simple way to meet the "air barrier' requirement

You will still have to insulate the walls to the top plate, so it is usually easier to have the SR contractor run the SR all the way up to encase the insulation vapor barrier. Plus, it saves the trades time since they won't have to drill through the firestopping at the ceiling line before they turn out into the attic space.
Also, check the location of the Type 1 hood - easier to use metal studs at those locations since you need 18" between the hood & duct and any combustibles.

Thanks Guys!...I just like to check when I get these national chains and they don't seem to know what they are doing when I know it is not their first building....Them..."We just did 10 like this!"...Me .."I don't care how many you have done wrong, let's get this one right!"

I had the exact same thing, same situation, same call, contractor building a large Italian restaurant chain I won't name, said it verbatim....... :rolleyes:

Reactions: JBI
To make it worse, many operators of smaller chains have worked for the big boys and assume they can use the same details (there by creating an industry mis-standard).
Starbucks did this with service counter heights and lost big time.