• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Floor covering at R2 balcony

pmarx said:
Here's an update. The FM returned my call from earlier in the week. Basically I decided not to fight him on the carpet issue even if I had a better than 50-50 chance of winning an appeal. First, it's not really worth the time and effort but more than that, I don't want to be a jerk. He explained that their concern is the heat from a fire below melting a material above that could drip onto the firefighters below. He told me of a recent fire at the complex where the landlord installed 2nd floor aluminum screen door melted and ran down below.
Sorry, but BS on that. If the fire is hot enough to melt aluminum or carpet then the molten aluminum or melted carpet is no hotter than the fire. And if it were a significant issue in the field, NFPA would address it...or rather they would have addressed it a long time ago either through codes or training standards.

The intent of the code is spelled out already. It is the want of each local AHJ and the off the cuff demands that bring resistance from the public and a bad name to a jurisdiction no matter how good their common sense "intention" of the code is.

101.3 Intent.

The purpose of this code is to establish the minimum requirements to safeguard the public health, safety and general welfare through structural strength, means of egress facilities, stability, sanitation, adequate light and ventilation, energy conservation, and safety to life and property from fire and other hazards attributed to the built environment and to provide safety to fire fighters and emergency responders during emergency operations.

Hate to see you cave into a "that's the way we like to see it done" call, brudgers is right, it is BS.

And it's not about being a jerk, it is about not empowering this FM to continue this method of enforcement.

If it had been a bigger issue to me or if the FM had come off as an unreasonable jerk I might have dug in my heels. The person it will affect most is my downstairs neighbor from my crap falling through the cracks. Oh well. I am prepared to put up a fight over the screens unless he can site a code.

cda said:
What? Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!
CDA,

i guess history wasn't your strong point in school?:mrgreen:

reinstall the carpet!

pwood said:
CDA, i guess history wasn't your strong point in school?:mrgreen:

reinstall the carpet!
Perhaps not but he knows Animal House ;)