• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

floor for garage

If the floor is dirt or gravel how do you keep it from changing the slope to the drain or door? My 3rd party company was sued by a home owner once because of no slope, so now we have to get a bucket of water to test the slope in garages.

Rick18071 said:
If the floor is dirt or gravel how do you keep it from changing the slope to the drain or door? My 3rd party company was sued by a home owner once because of no slope, so now we have to get a bucket of water to test the slope in garages.
Comparing the 2006 & 2009 codes, I see little change. R309.1 tells you the floor material needs to be 'approved' and the 2009 code went so far as to italicize the word. R501.1 & R501.2 says that for 'all buildings' Chapter 5 shall control the design and construction of floors, and such construction shall accomodate all loads according to R301. Chapter 5 covers wood, metal, and concrete floors. Dirt and gravel floors are not covered. If you didn't modify R105 to exempt structures under a 1,000sf, then I would suggest getting an engineered design for a floor that meets the requirements of the scoping provisions. IMO, it needs to be concrete or treated wood with drainage system.

Websters:

1ga·rage

noun

\gə-ˈräzh, -ˈräj; Canada also -ˈrazh, -ˈraj; British usually ˈga-(ˌ)räzh, -(ˌ)räj, -rij\

Definition of GARAGE

: a shelter or repair shop for automotive vehicles

The OP said "Garage".... IF he was in Calif. (I don't know where he is from), the code specifically states: 406.2.6 Floor Surface "Parking surfaces shall be of concrete or similar noncombustible and nonabsorbant material."

So, I guess the answer is, it depends on which state and which code you are using...... and which fish you feel like frying.....

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with fatboy and frank's interpretations on this one.

BTW...those barn fires look like they started in the loft. I will bet that they were from spontaneous combustion of green/uncured hay and had nothing to do with vehicles or dirt floors. Hay fires are NASTY.

I live on a dirt road, over half the roads in the county are dirt. The state used to oil them in the summer to keep the dust down, never saw one burn. Not that this was a smart thing to do from a water quality standpoint but a little perspective. There is a roof over a garage. We are learning as we go but it is interesting to watch the pendulum swing.

Papio Bldg Dept said:
So then why dismiss the original question...what does the IRC say about floors in accessory structures? Is it okay to be dirt? Does it need to be compacted? Does it need to slope and drain? These are the valid questions that are being dismissed because no permit is required by AHJ in the name of bigger fish to fry.
IMHO the required slope is for floor material which is considered impervious, the reason being to protect the wall construction from becoming wet. I understand we are talking IRC, but I believe the IBC allows Post Frame Buildings without concrete or wood floors.

"I understand we are talking IRC, but I believe the IBC allows Post Frame Buildings without concrete or wood floors.

Goes back to my earlier comment that I feel the "garage" section of the IRC is directed at attached structures.

Rick18071 said:
A gravel floor can be compacted and sloped upon competion of the project. Just like the rest of the building maintenence, what happens after the CO is not a building department issue.