• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Foam core ABS

Joe.B

I just got a call from a construction supply yard asking if "Foam Core" ABS is permitted instead of "regular" ABS. I've never seen it or heard of it, apparently it's an East Coast product. Is it treated the same a ABS from a code enforcement standpoint? Thanks.

According to google, yes that is the same. Problem is code doesn't list either of those as an allowable material for DWV piping. My book lists ABS (schedule 40), Co-Extruded ABS (schedule 40), or Co-Extruded Composite (schedule 40) among the listed "approved" materials. I'm leaning towards allowing it but just looking for anybody with experience using, or approving this product. Thanks.

FYI, Foam Core is typically the same thing as Co-Extruded.

Now, to get to it... here is an example material submittal form from Charlotte Pipe and Foundry.
1617740407756.png

For acceptable materials for DWV/sewer (if you use the UPC), see Table 701.2 (below)
1617740750392.png

Now, putting the two images above together, we can see that the Charlotte Pipe and Foundry Foam Core ABS is tested to ASTM D2661 (fittings) and F628 (pipe). The same ASTM are referenced for Co-Extruded ABS under Table 701.2.

Therefore, if following the UPC, no issue. Can not definitively say the IPC is the same, but I would not suspect any difference.

2018 IPC, Coextruded ABS is an approved material

I’m on the East Coast and haven the seen ABS used except for the far and between DIY job trying to mix ABS and PVC because that’s all Billy Bob’s hardware had and they said I’d be okay to use both.

I only saw this type of pipe once. The plumber could not pass a pressure test with air. I don't know why. It kept leaking at the fittings no matter what he did. After a few tries he ended up tearing it out and replacing it with PVC.

I only saw this type of pipe once. The plumber could not pass a pressure test with air. I don't know why. It kept leaking at the fittings no matter what he did. After a few tries he ended up tearing it out and replacing it with PVC.
That brings up another question. How common is testing plastic piping with air pressure? CA plumbing code (based off of UPC) specifically prohibits it, but occasionally I get someone who adamantly insists "that's how it's done." Does IPC allow this?

90% of testing I see is with air on plastic pipes. When I was a brand new inspector and failed my first pressure test for using air my boss asked me if I wanted to continue working as an inspector. Since then I worked for 4 different inspection companies where all of the inspectors are OK with it. Also it is below freezing for 1/3 of the year.

@ ~ @ ~ @

Joe.B, ...what does your legally adopted Codes
say about using air to test with [ i.e. - follow
what has been legally adopted in your AHJ ] ?

@ ~ @ ~ @