• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Foundation Drainage

Foundation Drainage

• Yes, Pass

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, Fail

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

jar546

Forum Coordinator
The planned use of this vertical pvc pipe is for one of the gutter leaders.There may or may not be other issues here.IRC applies
attachment.php

View attachment 2143

View attachment 2143

/monthly_2015_05/IMG_0081.jpg.b82de967b3a9b38af05a1b78bf4d5b7a.jpg

What I see just from the photo;

vertical pipe looks to be metal; incompatible joint to pvc

pvc tee does not have drainage turn; should be required due to water volume expected from roof

drain rock bed appears to be ungraded; typical (in our area) is 3/4" min rock size to allow water movement

no silt barrier (unless straw is intended for that use and somehow is an approved method in the area)

our local ordinances require separate rain water leader piping so the hydrostatic wall bottom drain is not adversely affected by having rainwater flow surcharging the soil through the hydrostatic perforated pipe inlets.

\ said:
our local ordinances require separate rain water leader piping so the hydrostatic wall bottom drain is not adversely affected by having rainwater flow surcharging the soil through the hydrostatic perforated pipe inlets.
I think this is changing, that's the way I've done it for 65 years, first Orangeburg, then that corrugated HDPE pipe, now PVC, two sets of drainage, perforated subdrains and solid for roof water. I recently applied for a permit for an addition to my own home (level lot), the city made me provide civil engineering, the CE dumped them all into one set of perforated lines. I took the 3 C sheets (Grading, Erosion, Erosion Notes) into the city expecting them to red line it into two sets of pipes, to my surprise it came back approving the CE's design. I figured I'd just install the two sets during construction but called the CE asking why, his answer is to dissipate the roof water on the property instead of sticking it into the city's storm drainage system, in places he actually has the roof leaders running into landscaped areas when possible, but they still charged me a 65¢ per square foot fee for all hard surfaced areas (roof, patio, driveways, sidewalks, etc.), I guess I could have avoided some of this fee by going away from concrete and using those pavers that allow drainage.

In addition to JD's comments, it's covered, don't have any idea what the rest looks like, also appears to have backslope, but maybe that's a camera thing.

= & = & =

Need purple primer on all joints.

Need entire length of drain to be uncovered for pressure

testing & visible inspection thereof, ...also the trench in which it is laying.

Need all joints & materials to be "cleaned off" to my level of acceptance.

Doesn't there need to be a layer or layers of non-permeable wrap on that

foundation wall, instead of just that layer of parging goo ? :eek:

More requirements may be needed when that $@%&* is uncovered.

= & = & =

north star said:
= & = & =

Need purple primer on all joints.

Need entire length of drain to be uncovered for pressure

testing & visible inspection thereof, ...also the trench in which it is laying.

Need all joints & materials to be "cleaned off" to my level of acceptance.

Doesn't there need to be a layer or layers of non-permeable wrap on that

foundation wall, instead of just that layer of parging goo ? :eek:

More requirements may be needed when that $@%&* is uncovered.

How are you going to pressure check drains if the CE prescribes holes in the drains at the city's request? Where are drainage pipe specifications in the code? If the AHJ does not require a CE to design the system what are your municipal ordinance prescriptive requirements?

conarb said:
his answer is to dissipate the roof water on the property instead of sticking it into the city's storm drainage system
Which is funny because San Francisco insists that every drop of water that is in the house, or hits the house, has to go into the sewer system. That's why you see a vent grate in every driveway next to the sidewalk. The result is that in heavy storms some areas, like at the bottom of Nob Hill, tend to back flood into the residences.

Go figure.

Brent.

MASSDRIVER said:
Which is funny because San Francisco insists that every drop of water that is in the house, or hits the house, has to go into the sewer system. That's why you see a vent grate in every driveway next to the sidewalk. The result is that in heavy storms some areas, like at the bottom of Nob Hill, tend to back flood into the residences.Go figure.

Brent.
That's because San Francisco does not have a storm drainage system, only a sanitary sewage system, you can see it discharge into the Pacific Ocean in a big pipe at Ocean Beach. With heavy rains the volume overloads the sewage treatment plant and raw sewage discharges into the ocean, they have been trying to do something about it for decades, increasing the size of the treatment plant but have never undertaken adding a storm drainage system. The more people you have the more taxes you can collect and the more people you can hire, but the more $hit you get too.

@ ~ ~ ~ @

Con,

Whoever is installing the pvc joints & pipe can install all of the

components other than the perforated pipe first, ...seal off,

and test..........Then, after passing the test, they can then

install the perforated piping last.

Asked another way, ...would you accept the work in the

picture if it were your own Residence ?

@ ~ ~ ~ @

I'll have to chime in here with a few points.First, there is no code requirement for footer drains to be pressure tested because it is perforated and there is simply no verbiage in the code requiring testing. I personally, am not aware of anyone ever requiring this. If anyone's jurisdiction has a requirement for this, please let us know.Second, the covering and aggregate does not meet the requirements for the drain itself so that is another issue. Third, emptying the roof runoff into the footer drain? Really? Want to flood your basement even quicker? But, is this a code violation?Lastly, I have yet to see one single IRC code reference as to why someone would fail this installation. One of the most important parts of this forum for education is not just hearing someone's opinion but having their interpretation backed up by an actual code reference.I think we need more code references and less "we've always done it that way" or "In my opinion I..." or even worse "Because I said so," Then we sound just like the contractors that we are failing.
attachment.php

View attachment 1178

View attachment 1178

/monthly_2015_05/soapbox.jpg.1b761d4ce5e725a4e27c6162dae9314b.jpg

R405.1 Concrete or masonry foundations. Drains shall beprovided around all concrete or masonry foundations that

retain earth and enclose habitable or usable spaces located

below grade. Drainage tiles, gravel or crushed stone drains,

perforated pipe or other approved systems or materials shall

be installed at or below the area to be protected and shall discharge

by gravity or mechanical means into an approved

drainage system. Gravel or crushed stone drains shall extend

at least 1 foot (305 mm) beyond the outside edge of the footing

and 6 inches (152 mm) above the top of the footing and

be covered with an approved filter membrane material. The

top of open joints of drain tiles shall be protected with strips

of building paper. Perforated drains shall be surrounded with

an approved filter membrane or the filter membrane shall

cover the washed gravel or crushed rock covering the drain.

Drainage tiles or perforated pipe shall be placed on a minimum

of 2 inches (51 mm) of washed gravel or crushed rock

at least one sieve size larger than the tile joint opening or perforation

and covered with not less than 6 inches (152 mm) of

the same material.
I haven't found any code that would prevent the roof gutters from connecting to the foundation drain.

Last edited by a moderator:
@ Mark, hence my comment about it being covered, for all I know, the whole thing terminates at the point of coverage............don't know if it is compliant, or not......that's my code violation to start with.

\ said:
Third, emptying the roof runoff into the footer drain? Really? Want to flood your basement even quicker? But, is this a code violation?
As I said above this is my first incident of seeing this in 65 years in this business. In order to get the permit you have to secure Public Works approval, the engineer in Public Works refused to approve without a civil engineer designing the system (for an addition on a level lot), the CE created three sheets that I incorporated into the plans, the C sheets then became a requirement enforced by the field inspector.
Lastly, I have yet to see one single IRC code reference as to why someone would fail this installation. One of the most important parts of this forum for education is not just hearing someone's opinion but having their interpretation backed up by an actual code reference.
Since it's not a code requirement but a Public Works requirement there is no applicable code requirement but a judgment call on the part of the CE, we have few basements around here and if the home did have a basement the CE's design may have been different, but my understanding of the logic is storm runoff is to be minimized with an attempt to absorb all rainwater landing on the property into the property rather than putting it into the storm system where it can pick up oil in the streets and end up in the ocean killing birds and fish. In Napa County they are no longer allowing hard-surface paving to absorb rainwater.
attachment.php
This house, built by my former superintendent, has all crushed pebble driveways and walkways. In a home I built in Santa Clara County there were no gutters, even though gutters are a requirement of the CPC, the engineered design had 4' overhangs with perforated drains in rock-filled trenches directly under the edges of the overhangs. In the case I mentioned on my own property if there were a basement I suspect the engineered design would have had separate systems then tied them together into one perforated system in an engineered leach system on the property, I think it's only as a last resort that water is allowed into the storm drainage system.
I think we need more code references and less "we've always done it that way" or "In my opinion I..." or even worse "Because I said so," Then we sound just like the contractors that we are failing.
I think "code enforcement" is a thing of the past, with everything going to engineered designs the proper term should be "plan-enforcement", the planning, building, fire, Public Works, and other departments approve plans that are then enforced by the field inspector. In the Santa Clara home I mentioned on the first visit the field inspector told me: "I don't have any power on this home, it's too complex, your inspections will be handled by Jennifer XX". He handed me her my card and she has an alphabet soup of certifications including SE.It was about 15 years ago that a CBO wouldn't even allow me to build a dormer on a friend's home based upon an architect's plans without structural engineering, now we are requiring civil engineering on all drainage systems.View attachment 1179

View attachment 1179

/monthly_2010_09/572953d69eb4a_alsdriveway.jpg.d763a73192aabfe4c778556fe576f953.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I built a lakeside home and was told that my foundation drains had to run to daylight. I pointed out that my drainage was inside the footer to a sump pit. The inspector insisted the county required them to daylight I pointed out that the spring level of the lake was 2 feet above the footers and I didn't think the drains would work. He eventually saw my point.

R405.1Exception: A drainage system is not required when the foundation is installed on well-drained ground or sand-gravel mixture soils according to the Unified Soil Classification System, Group I Soils, as detailed in Table R405.1.
attachment.php
ConarbMaybe the exception is why you have never installed one

View attachment 1180

View attachment 1180

/monthly_2015_05/Soils.JPG.d0fdf6a28c1b5d880c13e87ef66416d2.JPG

Chapter 33 Storm Drainage. Rainwater infiltration into the ground adjacent to a building can cause the interior of foundation walls to become wet. The installation of a subsoil drainage system prevents the build-up of rainwater on the exterior of the foundation walls. This chapter provides the specifications for subsoil drain piping. Where the discharge of the subsoil drain system is to a sump, this chapter also provides coverage for sump construction, pumps and discharge piping.

P3302.1 Subsoil drains.

Subsoil drains shall be open-jointed, horizontally split or perforated pipe conforming to one of the standards listed in Table P3302.1. Such drains shall be not less than 4 inches (102 mm) in diameter. Where the building is subject to backwater, the subsoil drain shall be protected by an accessibly located backwater valve. Subsoil drains shall discharge to a trapped area drain, sump, dry well or approved location above ground. The subsoil sump shall not be required to have either a gas-tight cover or a vent. The sump and pumping system shall comply with Section P3303.

A foundation drain is not part of a plumbing system and would not be subject the the testing requirements

PLUMBING SYSTEM. Includes the water supply and distribution pipes, plumbing fixtures, supports and appurtenances; soil, waste and vent pipes; sanitary drains and building sewers to an approved point of disposal.

Third, emptying the roof runoff into the footer drain? Really? Want to flood your basement even quicker? But, is this a code violation?

Lastly, I have yet to see one single IRC code reference as to why someone would fail this installation. One of the most important parts of this forum for education is not just hearing someone's opinion but having their interpretation backed up by an actual code reference.
R801.3 Roof drainage.

In areas where expansive or collapsible soils are known to exist, all dwellings shall have a controlled method of water disposal from roofs that will collect and discharge roof drainage to the ground surface at least 5 feet (1524 mm) from foundation walls or to an approved drainage system.

Not an approved system per R405.1 therefore roof water disposal must discharge 5 feet from the foundation walls

In Connecticut, we are under the 2009 IRC. The 2013 amendments to the 2009 IRC include section R405.3 which states: "Above grade drainage systems, including, but not limited to, gutters and downspouts, roof drains, and yard drains, shall not be connected to the foundation drainage system."

We have amended the code that clearly prohibits storm drainage tying into the foundation drain. The intent of the footing drain is to collect and funnel ground water away from the foundation. connecting the storm drainage to the footing drain introduces a water into the system creating a greater potential of water leaking into the basement.

R801.3 Roof drainage. In areas where expansive or collapsible soils are known to exist, all dwellings shall have a controlled method of water disposal from roofs that will collect and discharge roof drainage to the ground surface at least 5 feet (1524 mm) from foundation walls or to an approved drainage system.

EEO window wells R310.2

2012 IRC, section R310.2.2 window well drainage is allowed to connect to the buildings foundation drain unless amended by the AHJ.

This type storm water is permitted by code to be entered into the foundation drain system still.

CT amended the IRC to address this situation and states that it cannot be tied to the foundation drainage system, must be separate