• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Foundation on Barrier Islands

jar546

Forum Coordinator
I just thought I would share something that is a-typical of SFR construction in most parts of the country. In Florida, when you build near the intracoastal or on a beach that has a dune and you build on the dune, this is typical for a foundation slab. Auger cast piles go down anywhere from 40'-80' and are capped with grade beams as shown with the slab being poured over the top, although in many instances, this is a monolithic pour. The slab, however, is always above the FIRM BFE and of course the FBC DFE which is 1' of freeboard since they are almost always certainly in the special flood hazard area, including my town which is 100% either VE or AE zone.
Comments?
Screen Shot 2019-11-19 at 16.33.08.png

So, why would anyone want to build, or be allowed to build in areas knowing that "eventually" it will be washed away? Can these be insured?

So, why would anyone want to build, or be allowed to build in areas knowing that "eventually" it will be washed away? Can these be insured?
The view for one thing....

Casey%20Key%20Beachfront%20Homes%20for%20Sale.jpg

Until the tide rises or the winds blow. Same can be said for why do we live in the mountains, view and fresh air. You make your choices and take your chances.