• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Freestanding Masonry Wall Permitting

Mr209Smith

Good Afternoon!

Our previous, previous Building Official used the Municipal Code to amend the California Building Code, Section 105 to exempt masonry walls up to 6' in height. He claimed he got this from reviewing the building code, but I have been unable to find anything to support his determination. The amendment was never submitted to the CBSC. I am wondering how many jurisdictions out there have a similar interpretation.

During a recent storm, portions of a several hundred linear feet long 6' masonry wall fell over (no permit was applied for/issued). Luckily it fell into the empty lot next door, not toward the homes in the subdivision. I've always been uncomfortable with the 6' determination, the wall falling just reinforced my opinion.

How have you handled freestanding masonry walls?

As in masonry fences?

J1aAEAdF5b2OQmpzp73wGOen5QPTAkL9FoZ2yu2kF1GS6wIcOXXXuuX_XbtIUC-_5DymkaQp_I7Rn5WsZM3VJx_oU6JjpiX2D6wtD9xk5LU5eOtQ
concrete-boundary-wall-1532603428-4140169.jpeg

CBC [A] 105.2 Work Exempt From Permit
Exemptions from permit requirements of this code shall not be deemed to grant authorization for any work to be done in any manner in violation of the provisions of this code or any other laws or ordinances of this jurisdiction. Permits shall not be required for the following:

Building:

1. ...
  2. Fences not over 7 feet (2134 mm) high.
  3. ...

With regards to 105.2 and fences, the CBSC has informed me that "the model code is silent on timber or CMU walls" in regards to the situation, which makes me think the exception does not necessarily apply unless the AHJ determines it to be so. I've been searching through other jurisdictions around here, and some go as far as requiring a permit for any masonry "fence" over 4', so I don't feel TOO weird asking if anyone else has similar standards in place.