• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

FRTW plywood needed or not?

Okay, makes sense. I assume the A-2 is separated from the rest of the structure by fire barriers in accordance with Chapter 5; otherwise, a sprinkler system would be required.

But, to get to your specific point, I would state that FRTW plywood would be required per Item #1.1 of Section 603.1 (2006 IBC)

Just to add, as a construction specifier, I would never suggest to my clients using plywood as a substrate for ceramic tile in a commercial setting--I believe it will perform worse than water-resistant gypsum board. Besides, I don't think it complies with Section 2509.2 as a base for tile in toilet compartments, anyway.

I have to agree with Ron about the substrate. They'll probably need plywood or some type of blocking for the grab bars in the accessible stall but Section 1210.2 would stop the usage of plywood unless the mortar has a waterproof sealer integral to it. The joints are NOT nonabsorbent unless treated. The mortar will eventually wick moisture back to the substrate.

FRTW is one thing.. required for concealed blocking.. well and backing; but why would you have wood as a backing for ceramic tile.. should be dur-rock or equivalent. FRT wood still is no good for moisture.

Peach, you are so right!

Even if the hair stylist is numb from the waist down, they still check the temperature with their hands before starting (unless of course the customer is a complete jerk, in which case the water is ice cold).

Full disclosure: my wife is a stylist. She used to own a salon on Sanibel before we moved back up north.