• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

FRTW

cda

Sawhorse 123
Sat through a class on wood the other day, and not being a building code person, thought I understood what they said.

As far as FRTW and the 30 minute extended test.

Why is it needed and where can the 30 minute extended treated wood be used??? is it like for balconies, in place of non combustible material?

Any links with simple explanations??

Thanks

Without opening code book, there are places FRTW can be used in non-combustible construction types such as floor decking.

The Codes are the specific place to look for permitted uses of FRTW.

Best thing I ever learned at a Code seminar (RE IBC) is read the Code, but DO NOT FORGET TO READ THE EXCEPTIONS!

THe instructor said the Code was all about the exceptions.

I can't answer from a code perspective only from the field. We use it for blocking inside of walls. Pretty much nothing else.

RLM, funny that I was just talking to an architect a few days ago about this. It's not the code that has become complicated and difficult to understand for the average user, it's the exceptions and the exceptions the exceptions and see another code for another exception. We think it's the reason for lack of consistency from one AHJ to the next.

GCTony

The NFPA 101 solved the exception issue by simply "numbering" each exception as a part of the Code (ie 12.1, 12.1.1, 12.1.2, 12.1.3.1. etcetera and ad nauseum

It actually cleared things up letting us all know that the "exception" was simply one of the Code's options.

Personally, I like it that way.

The only other thing I would add to RLM's original statement about the exceptions is 2) Read the entire section. Don't stop once you think you have the answer, often as the sections continues it gets to an exception or a redirect to an added requirement.

ZIG