• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Fryer to open flame appliance clearnace

My opinion is that the difference in height between the fryer and cooktop is not relevant, the min. 8" baffle gets installed on the highest of the two appliances or, if they were the same height, either one.

I believe you would still need a a min. 8" baffle plate if the fryer is below 8" from the cooktop""""

Good point , now need to start looking at that thanks

As we all know it is the vapors that burn, not the liquid

cda said:
I believe you would still need a a min. 8" baffle plate if the fryer is below 8" from the cooktop""""Good point , now need to start looking at that thanks

As we all know it is the vapors that burn, not the liquid
True, but when you have a basket of onion rings dripping grease, then pass the basket over the gas charbroiler, you get fumes.

OK time to wake up this thread

So how do you measure the sixteen inches???

Between the fryer and any open-top flame units:

16" (41 cm)

From NFPA 96

All deep-fat fryers shall be installed with at least a 406 mm (16 in.) space between the fryer and surface flames from adjacent cooking equipment.

Commentary::::

It is important to note that the distance to be measured is not between appliances or even between cooking surfaces. This minimum distance is measured between the nearest edge of the deep-fat fryer appliance and the actual surface flames of any adjacent appliance. Since electric cooking appliances typically do not have flames, the distance between them and a deep-fat fryer is not an issue. Exhibit 12.1 shows a situation where the fryer is located within 406 mm (16 in.) of the other cooking equipment. However, because the other cooking equipment is electric and does not produce a flame, this separation requirement does not apply.