• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

G2407.6.2 (304.6.2) One-Permanent-Opening Method

Bernard Sobieski

Hello,
Can anyone out there help me determine if there are additional requirements or constraints on the location of a permanent opening for combustion air in the IRC section G2407.6.2 (304.6.2)? My mechanical room is in a basement partially below grade, and I can run a horizontal duct out the top of the wall but the centerline of the vent will only be ~12" above grade. Not ideal, but would this break any codes for combustion air intake into a residential mechanical room with a gas hot water heater and furnace.
Thanks,
Bernard

Oddly enough, I didn't find a prohibition in California codes. We didn't adopt the mechanical portion of the IRC so there may be something there. Considering that it snows in Colorado I would think that placing a combustion air opening should take that into consideration.

Last edited:
No section references

• Intakes must not be located where they might be obstructed by drifting snow (consult local experience as to the height of snow drifts against buildings).
  • Intakes must not be located within a zone of significant ground-level dust and debris generation (e.g. mowing, leaf blower use). At a minimum, intakes should be 2 feet above grade.
  • Intakes must not be allowed to be obscured or hidden by vegetation. Vegetation must not be allowed to grow within 3 feet of a ventilation system intake.

No section references

• Intakes must not be located where they might be obstructed by drifting snow (consult local experience as to the height of snow drifts against buildings).
  • Intakes must not be located within a zone of significant ground-level dust and debris generation (e.g. mowing, leaf blower use). At a minimum, intakes should be 2 feet above grade.
  • Intakes must not be allowed to be obscured or hidden by vegetation. Vegetation must not be allowed to grow within 3 feet of a ventilation system intake.
Where did this come from? Combustion air openings are different than ventilation intakes.

Wide Wide world of internet

Al said it was correct

Last edited:
G2407.11 (304.11) Item 8 requires the bottom of the opening to be a minimum of 12" above grade. Beyond that, it depends if you interpret a combustion air inlet that's open to the mechanical room as a "gravity outdoor air inlet". R303.5.1 would then require it to be a minimum of 10' from hazardous or noxious contaminants.